Help Convincing Parents!

Well i am new to having chickens for the last 9 months we built a really nice looking coop painted with fake window complete with a hen and rooster looking out and curtians painted in it, and flower boxes so it would look nice in the yard we have 3 hens who rarely make a noice and one rooster who i wanted to be a hen but he is 6 months old and still quite. they dont smell unless it rains alot and soaks the ground. I use the deep liter method in the coop so it doesnt need cleaning often and with poultry feeder and water you wont have to tend to that but once a week. so two hens wouldnt be any work, alot less then parakeets or dogs which I have had birds and still have my dog. and hatching out chicks 2 months ago was so much fun and educational. my hen hatched out 3 and I hatched out 2 in a bucket with a light i also kept it moist that was a real experiment. i just kept moving the light until the eggs felt the same temp as the one Ms. Peeps was sitting on and it worked. as long as you wash your hands after taking care of them and gathering eggs you good there as far as germs go.

good luck if you were my kid I say yes!!!

actually thats what happened I always wanted chickens and my daughter in 7th grade had a agriculture class we live in the country they hatched out eggs and she wanted to get one so we said yes. well she likes them but they are mine I love having them I have a bench to sit and watch them they respond to me when i call them and they are so much fun

Last edited:
Quote:
My parents are a bit on the sarcastic side themselves
lol.png
I guess it runs in the family! I clean up after the parakeets in the kitchen, so I'm pretty used to bird poo. The parakeets we have are the only animals I've ever really strongly disliked. They have certain tendencies to chirp really loud at the worst moments, and I swear, they aim and shoot feed!
tongue.png

Ok I am simalsr in age to you, I have major stress problems and I worry alot.... ever since i got chickens I've been less stressed and they have greatly helped my mental conditiion (as in worrying too much I ama not actually mentally retarded lol) and you are right chickens can learn there names and numerous other words. I love my chickens
woot.gif

Good job! with that they should let you get two.
I have such bad luck what would've happened to me is if I were writing that I would be almost done and I would trip on the computer cord and it would all be erased
barnie.gif
just sayin' LOL Thats me......... LOL

From a parent's point of view, they are probably worried about extra work or expense for them.

Therefore, if you want to convince them you will follow through, make sure you are meeting all your responsibilities at home and at school. In other words, the maturity of your actions will mean more than your words. Vote with your feet!

Being a parent, admittedly of "elderly" children who now have their own children, I can assure you that acting in a mature way will get you lots further than begging and wearing them down.

You are a bright young lady, keep up the good work. Hope you get your chickens!

You've done a great job thinking through the issues! Congratulations.
I've had my chicks for 3 weeks and we already love them like family. It will be difficult when we sort out which ones are roosters and get rid of them.

One thing I'd like to suggest you consider. The Silkies are wonderful, we have one and it is a beauty. But, Silkies lay mini-sized eggs. You would still have to buy eggs at the store for cooking and baking. I think they'll be really cute sunny side up though. Would you consider getting a different breed? Rhode Island Reds are wonderful companions too, and their eggs are much bigger.

Just a thought. Good luck, I hope we hear about chicks in your near future.

Your presentation is great. I'm new to chickens and just had to convince my DH that having them would be good. My problem is I am having difficulty settling on which breeds I want. Today I came home with my first Polish chicken and she's adorable. It's really hard to stop at just 2 chickens. I also want Seramas.

Georgia in Alabama

Back
Top Bottom