HELP...........Coop and run issues

dianer29

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
The coop for my 18 week old SILKIES is still not completed. I had to change original plans as we had a heavier than usual rainfall and the site I wanted is not acceptable nor fixable due to the money it would involve to correct it. We are on lava ,some broken up most not.I purchased a solar fan with electric backup and that needs to be wired in once in place. I want to keep the girls close to house .It is very unsafe to walk day or night on the rocks outside to tend to them,so I thought closet to house and porch the better. House overhang will not allow for proper sun to take care of the solar we need.,so I am in a middle of a rethink. I was going to get a dog kennel around the coop and 2 runs with a top that would be as predator safe as possible. We have wild pigs,mongoose,feral cats,loose dogs,various large birds,roof rats,mice just to name few concerns. My husband asked me to ask around and use the blog to see what others do to make it all work out without going any further broke than we already are on this project. We used the hardware cloth over the chick wire on runs that they use in garage right now and he put the cloth on the various holes in the coop. We might be using bricks of some type under the 2 runs , keeping in mind we want to close up all possible entry ways to coop or the 2 runs. I am at a loss as my husband said if we use a kennel ,which I agree as well, monggose etc can get thru andit is too expensive to cover all side and top links. We need metal roofing due to tropical climate here.We bought various latches as well.Does anyone have any very safe,sane ,relatively predator and foolproof,and inexpensive ideas that have worked?

Last edited:
wild pigs and mongoose!
ep.gif

Where are you, are you in Hawaii? Some things to think about--wild mongeese (sp?) attack during the day? If not, you could lock them up in a secure coop at night (and keep the dog kennel idea). Perhaps if you constructed it with the right ventilation and shading, you would not need a fan. Is electric wire a possibility? Do you have any neighbors with chickens, so that you could go and pick their brains? Good luck, sounds like a challenge!!

Last edited:
Are your mongoose nocturnal only? From a quick look, it appears that some varieties are daytime and some are nighttime predators. If daytime, I can probably not help you. If the are nighttime only, I'd suggest making the coop safe from them and not worry about the run as far as mongoose are concerned. Then you just lock them up at night in a safe coop.

Something else to stop them from digging in the run or coop is to put a horizontal piece of wire next to the coop or run to keep them from digging under. This link shows that better than I can describe it.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex916

Good luck!!

our mongoose ARE ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HUMAN Tampering with nature as they are daytime animals and were imported for want of a better word to kill roof rats,which are nocturnal. Why someone never thought it out first ................I have no idea! Wild pigs here in Hawaii are in over abundance and hunted , which really does not make much of a dent..............so...................

Last edited:
The island is a laid back beautiful place. Most people free range and let life do its thing......................weed out the weak and unlucky,not a route I am willing to take.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom