HELP! Coop building questions!

Chickchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
We're trying to get our coop together and have a few questions.

1. Can we use cedar posts to hold the fencing on the run portion of the coop, or is that a no-no?

2. How high off the ground do the nesting boxes need to be? (we have a welsummer, easter eggers, a wyandotte, and an australorp)

We're converting a Rubbermaid shed (7'x3.5'x6'h) and attaching the run to the side so the girls can get there through a pop hole.

Thanks for any help!!

Yes you can use the post for the run, there should be no problem there.

I have some nest boxes 3' and some 4' off the ground and they use them all. When I first got chickens this time around, I got all standards so I put a walking board in front of the nest so the girls can enter the nest easier and also put a ramp up to the other board. It seems to work better for the heavier breeds when entering and leaving the nest. It also helps them by not having to fly down off the nest boxes and maybe incur leg or foot injuries.

Hope this helps and you enjoy your girls!

Cedar posts are fine.
Nesting boxes at about 1 1/2 to 2 ft off ground- or until it looks right.
May want to keep an eye on the amount of heat that builds up in your rubbermaid shed during the summer.
Good luck and post pictures when you are done!!

@migocontodos~ :

I got all standards so I put a walking board in front of the nest so the girls can enter the nest easier !

Forgive my ignorance (I'm pretty new to this), but what's a walking board?​

yes use the ceder posts.they say they wont rott off at the ground for years.nestboxes can be 2ft to 3ft off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom