Help!!! COOP RAID! COOP RAID!

LaBaze

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Covington, LA
Okay so we have been losing a bird about every other night, we left the dogs out one night, and we set a trap. This morning I wake up and when I say Good Morning she said Not Really. Turns out we
had a raid last night.
somad.gif
I will say right now that our chicken coop is fort knox, I think I found where it go in though. When we were just losing a bird every other night, I am positive, it was a
raccoon. But last night even though according to Wildlife and Fisheries, we don't have them, a weasel killed five, left 4 dead in the coop and took home the other one for dinner.
somad.gif
I am so mad that
I think I could actually kill it even though I have never killed anything like that.
My real question is does anyone know how to catch a weasel? Ive set traps for raccoons, possum, even feral cats but never a weasel. Please help us!!!

Last edited:
Weasels are not too difficult but set a leg trap or conibear trap in the area he is coming in through, just think of where there is a natural funnel in his path and you will get him. Be sure it is chicken proof though I usu a milk crate to shield the trap from unintended pets. If you want you can pad a trap to be able to release it or so it wont hurt a larger pet. Talk to a local trapper on the finer points of setting the trap. Forget the live traps the weasels are too wary although you may have a dumb one. Set a game camera first to be sure of your adversary.

Honestly i had the same thing happened - but was a mink - was horrible- i set a regualr small live trap like i would for raccoon or whatever and got it!

What can I use as bait? I have two hav a hart traps one for small raccoons and feral cats and stuff and the other is for like squirrels. Thanks for everything guys!

Well, I don'y have any leg traps but I set the live traps last night, the big one with one of the chickens it killed and the small one with bad ground meat. The ground meat smelled worse then the dead birds!
sickbyc.gif
We didn't have anything this morning
barnie.gif
though so I'm going to leave everything as is one more night before I put the birds over the fence. So here's to
fl.gif
fl.gif
the we catch the little pest.
Turbodog: Thanks for the goodluck and someone we know in the area had caught a weasel in a live trap last year after it killed alot of her flock. She called Wildlife and fisheries to basically say the same thing. We know that we have lots of animals we arent supposed to like panthers, weasels, and not sure if we are or arent supposed to have these but, bobcats. If we catch him, he is going to wildlife and fisheries.

Back
Top Bottom