HELP cracked fertile egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gokuchickey, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gokuchickey

gokuchickey In the Brooder

Jun 10, 2018
    so my hen has been sitting on her eggs for quite sometime and I’ve recently check and found a egg with a tiny droplet of dried blood, I panicked so I took my hen out of her box and started to inspect all the eggs.. until I found this egg, it looked like it had blood dripping down * dried * and then I saw cracks my heart dropped. I took my light and started to Candel the egg, the egg didn’t smell bad and the chick inside was doing just fine, moving a lot. The crack was not severe at all but I still wanted to share and ask for help. What should I do ? How did this happen ? I will include a picture of the egg.

Attached Files:

Coop de Grass and Chick or Treat like this.
  2. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Songster

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Candle wax!!! Melt it in a double boiler or melt a candle over a flame and drip it onto the cracks and missing shell piece! Do it right away. I JUST had this happen in my last hatch. An egg fell off the counter onto the tile floor. By some MIRACLE the membrane was intact, but 1/2 of the shell was in BAD shape. I googled it and repaired it with melted candle wax, then popped it into the incubator. The chick needed a little help to hatch when the time came but he's a healthy happy 3 month old cockerel today!

This is RIGHT after he hatched in my hand:

3. Chick or Treat

Chick or Treat Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    @Leihamarie that is pretty cool! Genius idea! I loved your video!!! So sweet! :love:celebrate

Coop de Grass likes this.
  4. gokuchickey

Jun 10, 2018
    I left the egg overnight under the hen and I saw the comment I immediately ran to my hen and saw that my other Wyandotte was sitting on my hens eggs !! I panicked I inspected all the eggs and I came across the one that had a little crack and now it’s severe :( i candeled the egg and it’s still doing just fine but I don’t know if I should do the wax method for the big hole what should I do?

Attached Files:

Coop de Grass and Chick or Treat like this.
  5. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Songster

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Wrap it right this second in a moist towel while you get the candle wax ready. Every second that membrane is exposed to air, it's drying out. Seal that hole right away before the membrane dries up and shrink-wraps the baby! :) My egg looked similar to that one. This is what it looked like after I'd sealed it with the candle wax. Not pretty but it worked.
    20180520_124651_HDR.jpg

The challenge is going to be the weight of the hen sitting on it when it's that damaged. When is hatch day? Do you have an incubator you can put it into with a couple of the other eggs to hatch? you can have mama raise the baby chicks after they hatch, but putting the damaged one into an incubator will definitely reduce the very large risk of it getting crushed and having the membrane break.

Attached Files:

Chick or Treat likes this.
  6. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Songster

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    The chick is probably going to need some help hatching because the membrane is drier than it should be, due to the cracks, but we can cross that bridge when you get there.

Chick or Treat likes this.
  7. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Songster

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    Thanks!!!! This is him growing over the last few months. I named him Chester because he's very orange and looks like a cheeto, lol!!!!

Chester and his sister Gigi
    20180609_130335_HDR.jpg

punky toddlers
    20180620_163302_HDR.jpg

learning to leap off of planters
    20180717_105354_HDR.jpg

Chester and Gigi napping in the shade
    20180805_114238_HDR.jpg

Snuggling at bedtime
    20180808_195602.jpg

They decided they all wanted to cuddle before bed.
    IMG_0051.JPG

8. gokuchickey

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you so much, I did the waxing method but I’m kinda thinking it’s a little too thick, I’ll send you a picture of the egg when I get up tomorrow. And sadly no I do not have an incubator, I’ve moved my hen And her eggs into a safer place. Unfortunately I do not know the hatch date, but I know that it probably will hatch in a couple days if things go well. I will try to Candel the egg tomorrow and keep you updated.

9. gokuchickey

Jun 10, 2018
    here’s the egg, I candeled the egg and the chick seems fine.

Attached Files:

10. gokuchickey

Jun 10, 2018
    LAST AND FINAL UPDATE*
    I’ve been checking on The egg under my hen every 1-2 hours and unfortunately the egg is destroyed/crushed. I think the cause of this was the weight of the hen. I had to wipe all the eggs, including mama. I’m very devastated and now there will be 7 hatching chicks. [ there used to be 12, one was a yolker, others were eaten by other chickens and now one is crushed ] r.i.p :hit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: