Help! Crust on feathers over eyes?

Hanathehappyhen

Songster
6 Years
Jan 2, 2018
Nicasio CA
Today I noticed that Bielefelder pullet had these crusty things over her eyes. I looked at them closely and realized it was something that had crusted around her feathers. I got them off by putting vegetable oil on the feathers and rubbing them off with q-tips and cutting a couple feathers off. Her eyelid crease feathers also had the same thing. What could be causing this?

A couple things to note:
1. She’s a Bielefelder, so has very low, thick brows that get into her eyes. (I’m thinking somehow the salt from her eyes could have crusted around the feathers?)

2. She’s been acting completely normal. And so have her flockmates. I checked them all and they don’t have whatever she has. ( so I don’t think she has fowl pox. It also doesn’t really look like pox. )

3. Her eye was irritated after taking the crust off, but I’m not surprised since her eye got a lot of rubbing. ( I’ll check tomorrow)

4. She’s twelve weeks old, and still had a little bit of baby fluff attached to her brows. (Could that have crusted?)

5. I’m pretty sure the crusts weren’t blood, since they weren’t the right texture, and I would have noticed blood on her face.

Attachments

• 5F8C7AB0-34B9-454B-BFE6-C33BDA4DA4F9.jpeg
    5F8C7AB0-34B9-454B-BFE6-C33BDA4DA4F9.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 93F18810-350B-4586-90C8-B49491C54A93.jpeg
    93F18810-350B-4586-90C8-B49491C54A93.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 80B62B5A-A348-4BAC-AD59-17483F826BC7.jpeg
    80B62B5A-A348-4BAC-AD59-17483F826BC7.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 15
  • F59A5CBA-07D7-484F-BE78-FF3E3B92E7FF.jpeg
    F59A5CBA-07D7-484F-BE78-FF3E3B92E7FF.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 67AF51F8-7391-4A31-B609-C5B683DE099C.jpeg
    67AF51F8-7391-4A31-B609-C5B683DE099C.jpeg
    525.5 KB · Views: 16
  • A7D8E2A4-3049-4EEA-B628-430CADF094EE.jpeg
    A7D8E2A4-3049-4EEA-B628-430CADF094EE.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 14
  • E0145A5F-3838-425A-8194-786FFC99094E.jpeg
    E0145A5F-3838-425A-8194-786FFC99094E.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 17
If it's just on the one eye, keep it clean and make sure your flock doesn't peck at it, and it should heal up pretty quickly. (Saltwater is a decent cleaner, and is safe for use around the eyes.)

But, you should keep a check on both eyes, and the nose, for swelling, leaking, or any crusty buildup, as that could be a sign of a respiratory illness and would require quarantine.

Her eye looks pretty healthy, so that’s good. I had something similar happen with my Polish (her ‘hair’ was kinda lopsided). The skin above her eye got pushed down and that with her feathers caused her eye to water a little. That in turn caused dust and dirt to stick there and almost get crusty. I cleaned it off then trimmed her ’hair’ back to even things out and keep the feathers on one side from causing any more issues. That seemed to do the trick. Hopefully that’s all it is with your girl (she‘s adorable, by the way :love ).

Today I noticed that Bielefelder pullet had these crusty things over her eyes. I looked at them closely and realized it was something that had crusted around her feathers. I got them off by putting vegetable oil on the feathers and rubbing them off with q-tips and cutting a couple feathers off. Her eyelid crease feathers also had the same thing. What could be causing this?

A couple things to note:
1. She’s a Bielefelder, so has very low, thick brows that get into her eyes. (I’m thinking somehow the salt from her eyes could have crusted around the feathers?)

2. She’s been acting completely normal. And so have her flockmates. I checked them all and they don’t have whatever she has. ( so I don’t think she has fowl pox. It also doesn’t really look like pox. )

3. Her eye was irritated after taking the crust off, but I’m not surprised since her eye got a lot of rubbing. ( I’ll check tomorrow)

4. She’s twelve weeks old, and still had a little bit of baby fluff attached to her brows. (Could that have crusted?)

5. I’m pretty sure the crusts weren’t blood, since they weren’t the right texture, and I would have noticed blood on her face.
I had a roo like this once. He is a polish, I gave him a hair cut and noticed a few days later he had a booger coming out from under his eyelid. It was wet and green. I would pull it out and by the next day it was back. I wasn’t sure what it was till on the third day of me cleaning his eye I pulled out a eye booger with a 1/4 inch long hair of his. It must have slipped inside his eye when I cut his hair and his body was trying to get it out. It could be that. She looks too be ok, so you can try washing her eye with a saline solution ( the ones for humans works to) and adding neosporin to her eyelids.

I had a roo like this once. He is a polish, I gave him a hair cut and noticed a few days later he had a booger coming out from under his eyelid. It was wet and green. I would pull it out and by the next day it was back. I wasn’t sure what it was till on the third day of me cleaning his eye I pulled out a eye booger with a 1/4 inch long hair of his. It must have slipped inside his eye when I cut his hair and his body was trying to get it out. It could be that. She looks too be ok, so you can try washing her eye with a saline solution ( the ones for humans works to) and adding neosporin to her eyelids.
Thanks!

Her eye looks pretty healthy, so that’s good. I had something similar happen with my Polish (her ‘hair’ was kinda lopsided). The skin above her eye got pushed down and that with her feathers caused her eye to water a little. That in turn caused dust and dirt to stick there and almost get crusty. I cleaned it off then trimmed her ’hair’ back to even things out and keep the feathers on one side from causing any more issues. That seemed to do the trick. Hopefully that’s all it is with your girl (she‘s adorable, by the way :love ).
Thank you! I love her she’s the sweetest

Back
Top Bottom