help - Cryptic Mill date

The dumor is the same format. Likely both by Purina (they changed format mid December last year.
Hmm. Here is the last bag I bought of Dumor starter grower 20% from about that time with a regular date. Looks like my next bag will have the julian date code then.

20220213_210852.jpg

I've noticed my local CO-OP has changed code types on their feeds too since I bought from there last.

Why do they make the tag look kind of cryptic? When all your looking for is when it is was made.
It isn't meant to be confusing; it is just the standard used in many industries so the printers (or software for the printers) come that way. It makes some production and inventory management things easier than using months that have inconsistent numbers of days. And, really, weird numbers of days - 31 isn't divisible by anything.

My dad tells of when the dating codes were meant to be difficult for consumers to decode. If I remember right, a company he worked for used colors for months and the number for the day was the first of four or last of four digits depending on the letter beside the number. Or something really crazy like that.

@BrooksHatlen I did see the new code today when I bought a bag. They put the new bags on top of the older ones. The bottom bag was milled in Nov 21. They also went up by 50 cents too even though I know the older bags didn't cost that. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom