HELP! Curing Cannibalism Injury to Hen

Gresh

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
North Carolina
Hey,

I have a big problem. One of my hens had a bleeding comb from a peck injury and she was cannibalized in the coop this morning before I could get there. Her face is plucked, her comb is literally only 3/4 attached to her head (despite the fact that she's a rosecombed chicken), and she is bleeding in multiple areas around her face. She is having trouble breathing...whether it's because of the stress or because blood is clotting in her nostrils, I don't know. Her eyes are swollen shut.

I need to know:

1) How should I treat her injuries?
2) What should I do about feeding her since her eyes are swollen shut?
3) If she doesn't start to recover within a week, what should I do?

Will upload pictures of the injuries as soon as possible.

Thanks!

First uou need to isolate this hen. Clean all of the blood off of her head with a damp cloth. Then you can clean her face with betadine. Dry her wounds and the apply antibiotic ointment. She should be fine.

I don't think this is cannibalism. I think your hens were simply pecking her because of the bleeding.

Agreed. Isolate. Clean off the blood the best you can. I use Vetricyn for just about everything. Don't put her back until you feel she's healed well enough to do good in with the rest of the flock. If they do happen to go after her again, you may have to re-home her or keep her by herself.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

What should I do about her comb? It's only like 1/4 attached to her head. In the pics I'm about to upload the comb looks like it's fine, but that's just because we laid it back over her head to keep it out of her face. It's just sitting there. Should I clean the wounds and then dub her after the bleeding has stopped and the injuries are sufficiently healed?

Here are the pictures...they're somewhat graphic.

Depends if the comb started healing back to her head, or separated from it ...... if separated, I agree with dubbing ..... if it's reattaching itself, try leaving it & applying something that heals & fights infection.

@Enola and BrahmaMama:

Thanks for the responses! I'll see what happens with her comb. Tomorrow I'm going to TSC to get her some water soluble vitamins and some chicken-friendly anti-infection meds.

As to her appetite, she would probably eat, but her eyes are still swollen shut. We have to give her water here and there ourselves...she drinks well when we offer it. Her breathing is labored...I assume that's because she has coagulated blood in her nostrils?

The chicken vitamins usually also has electrolytes init too. If you can ppick up some dries mealworms, the added protein might help her. Not a lot, but a little a few times a day might spark her interest.

Update:

We are doing our best to offer her water throughout the day. She drinks well on her own once she realizes where the water dish is. However, her eyes are still shut...what should I do about them? She really needs to eat but there's no way she's going to do that if she can't even see the food.

I bought her a vitamin/electrolyte soluble and put it in her water tonight...she very eagerly drank it all down. Hoping the vitamins will do her good.

Bleeding appears to have stopped but there is puss/scabbing that is clogging her left nostril. She breathes fine through her right nostril, however.

Your continued suggestions have been much appreciated. :D

Oh, I also got her some Blu-Kote, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom