Help! Curroted metal roofing sheet blew off during transfer

Mthawkins08

In the Brooder
Dec 20, 2020
I have a chicken run lean to frame covered in 5 sheets of metal roofing. During transfer the sheets were flapping and evening pushed off the speciality metal roofing screws. I only used a few per rafter, so I'm wondering if it's because it wasn't secure enough.
How many screws would you suggest I use down my rafters? Or should I attach the roofing at its destination?
Trying to find a way to 100% secure the roof down before trying to transfer again tomorrow

I have a chicken run lean to frame covered in 5 sheets of metal roofing. During transfer the sheets were flapping and evening pushed off the speciality metal roofing screws. I only used a few per rafter, so I'm wondering if it's because it wasn't secure enough.
How many screws would you suggest I use down my rafters? Or should I attach the roofing at its destination?
Trying to find a way to 100% secure the roof down before trying to transfer again tomorrow
How long were the screws? I'd screw it down every 10-12" after you get it on site.
I would not attempt to secure them prior to transport. That is a lot of windsail to catch the wind along the way.

We have 32/1000 box profile metal sheets at 6 feet long each side. On my roof there are 3 purlins to which I screwed a roofing screw every other indentation (so approx 4 screws at 3 points per sheet). This might be different depending on your roofing sheets though.

I use two and one half inches on two by fours set on end, the more the merrier.. Do not remember the intervals.. but 12" on center you can't go wrong.. Less than two feet would be my suggestion.. Must be one heck of a wind, I use decking screws.. Rust resistant.. Use of drywall screws and you know what.. RUST!

The general estimating rule of thumb is 80 screws per square. Because hen houses are so small, relatively speaking, they tend to require more screws, because there is more "edge" relative to center/overlapped spaces. My experience has been closer to 100 screws/square or one per square foot.

and 1 1/4" screws likely don't have full depth of penetration to develop full holding strength - you generally want 3 full threads to penetrate the underside of your purlin to ensure you have maximal hold.

For travel, if they've already been peeled off, set them on the floor, put 2x4s on top to protect the ridges (if they are 5v style panels - I've not tried to protect wave panels in this fashion, I don't like them), set the coop on top and strap it all down. Drive whatever speed you want.

1620584055992.png

Back
Top Bottom