Help! Day 19 and I cant get the humidity past 40%

maus

Songster
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Florida
And I am in Florida! I dont know what else to do. I have added water, I put a sponge in there as well. I do hear peeping but no pips yet. Should I just leave it alone ? I have the Genesis bator. I think I screwed it up because when I unplugged the turner the other day and was placing the eggs on the screen, I realized I had unplugged the wrong cord. It was the bator not the turner. So, I quickly plugged it back in and got all the eggs situated. Ever since then, the humidity has been driving me nuts!
idunno.gif

You really should try to get the humidity higher...a wet washcloth, wet sock or another sponge inside a small butter tub?.... 60 to 70% range is what you are shooting for to help keep the shell membrane pliable for the chick to get out of....

Are you sure your hygrometer is correct? Im in Florida too, and my outside humidity is 50%. With all you've done, Id think your bator humidity would be good.

I had a problem with humidity, and my hubby went to the Dollar store and got two of those cheapie giant yellow car washing sponges. I put them in and my humidity hit 78% in the hour. I also have put a warm mist humidifier next to the bator when I have the AC running to compensate for the dry air in the room.

If you are in Florida, I would bet your hygrometer is not recording the humidity correctly. The dang things are notorious for not being accurate. Are you seeing any moisture on the lid? If you are then the humidity is plenty high, possibly to high. If you added the sponges and water in all the channels and it has not changed, my guess is a bad hygrometer. I have purchased 6 different one and as many here will tell you the digital models are not always accurate. Also check the batteries in your unit.

Back
Top Bottom