Help - day 2 of very badly shaped eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoaringBrook, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RoaringBrook

RoaringBrook Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Appreciate any help - my first post.
    I have several chickens that lay brown eggs - one a Rhode Island Red (5 yrs) and 2 Barred Rocks (2.5 years). This is the second day that one of them has had trouble laying, and the result is a very deformed egg. She is leaving these in the nesting box. No change in diet, egg layer feed, lots of cool water and 1x week they get egg shells. Otherwise, all are very active.

Here is a photo of the egg.
    [​IMG]

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I hope someone can help you I was just looking but that sure is odd.....good luck

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    My thought is that one of your RIRs is going out of lay and that's why you're getting these strange carrot-like eggs. How's her crest and wattle colors? Are her hip bones closing?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    They may not be getting enough calcium. Egg shells may not be enough, they may need crushed oyster shell.

Other idea is your 5 year old hen is laying them. She is way past her prime for egg laying..

5. RoaringBrook

RoaringBrook Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Just checked her colors - and she looks the same, eyes are clear and bright, and comb and waddle color is nice red (not pale). Not sure what you mean about her hips though - what should I look for?

6. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Wow... thanks for that pic. My chickens have not started laying yet, but I appreciate the information for any future problems that may occur.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:My first thought was that they need more calcium. Try giving Oyster Shells. I just leave a dish (kitty food dish) free choice in each pen/coop. They only eat what they need. Layer feed has the minimum amount of calcium necessary for most hens. Others just need more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by