Help.... Day 24 on my Cochin hatch

sweetlesliejean

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
Hi there.... I'm new to BYC.... Not that I haven't browsed the site for years... I finally made an account
1f60a.png

I have Standard Cochin eggs in my incubator... Today is day 24 I had one successful hatch yesterday and doing well , one pipped yesterday and nothing and the rest no pips. I have not candled them since right before lockdown..... Why aren't they hatching ?????
What should I do ???
Thank you in advanced

Unfortunatly there are a lot of things that factor into a successful hatch. It may be the humidty was to low or possibly the heat was not queit high enough. I once lost a whole incubator full of eggs due to the humidity being to low.

What kind of incubator do you have?

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the hatch. A person looks forward to the youngs chicks so much and when they don't hatch its no fun.

Thank you.... Just frustrated, I have them in a still air hova bator .... I hatched 5 of my barnyard mix about 3 weeks ago just fine.... These eggs were in another bator ( circulated air) until lock down. Reason, set eggs at different intervals... Probably a dumb idea. I did have one hatch successfully. Should I give them a couple more days untill I toss them ????

I was afraid of that. That is the incubator that I was using when I lost my whole batch. It is up to you if you want to give them another day or so. A freind of mine has one like this and has decent luck with her hatches but she modified it somehow with extra fans and added extra water for humidity.

I ended up making my own incubater and have decent luck with it.

Sorry for your loss.

Well next time I decide to spend a crap ton of money on fertile eggs (found most of them to be clears) I will set them the same day and not move them around. I don't know why my barnyard mix hatched in the hova bator .... My other bator have eggs turners and I would have to move them out anyway..... Well on a happy note I have 1 baby Cochin !!!!
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me.... I love my birds and hatching my own but I'm still just a beginner
1f60a.png

I wouldn't, but if it would make you feel better, I don't believe it would hurt anything. Were these shipped eggs? If so, that might be part of your problem. There are tons of threads on here about shipped eggs and the problems people have with them.

Yes they were shipped eggs.... I should know better..... I wanted Cochin, brahmas and speckled sussex.... You just don't get those at the feed stores.... I suppose I can say I tried
1f61e.png

Yes they were shipped eggs.... I should know better..... I wanted Cochin, brahmas and speckled sussex.... You just don't get those at the feed stores.... I suppose I can say I tried
1f61e.png

Have you tried special ordering from your feed store? I just asked what hatchery they order from. Mine will add on chicks or whatever other fowl and hold for up to three days for pick up

Back
Top Bottom