HELP!! Day 25 no pip but the chick is alive

Tillyschickens

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
My chicken egg is now on day 25 of incubation and hasn't pipped internally or externally Ive candled it today and I can see the veins and the chick moving inside, it was rocking yesterday morning but stopped since then so I don't know what to do. On day 23 I took out all the eggs that failed the candling and float test to crack them and there was a chick which was alive but really underdeveloped. So could this one be taking longer because it's not fully developed yet?

It is Day 25, I collected the three remaining eggs. The fertile ones I set under my hen, Meg, with penciled on happy faces so I would know which is which. Out of four fertile eggs I brought in, some had untimely ends due to a bossy hen, Val, trying to muscle onto the nest with Meg. I was handling them in no particular "keep them in the same position" way, to bring into the house to see if I could candle... which I've never done before, when I heard a very strong "peep-peep"! Oh shoot! I quick put that one back under her. Have I ruined this baby?! I don't know which end is up, air bubble or anything. I just quick returned it to the nest.

It is Day 25, I collected the three remaining eggs. The fertile ones I set under my hen, Meg, with penciled on happy faces so I would know which is which. Out of four fertile eggs I brought in, some had untimely ends due to a bossy hen, Val, trying to muscle onto the nest with Meg. I was handling them in no particular "keep them in the same position" way, to bring into the house to see if I could candle... which I've never done before, when I heard a very strong "peep-peep"! Oh shoot! I quick put that one back under her. Have I ruined this baby?! I don't know which end is up, air bubble or anything. I just quick returned it to the nest.
Has it pipped the shell yet? Most likely if you heard it peep it has pipped the air cell.

I didn't see any crack. I just feel awful and worried because although I looked at it when I removed it out from under her, I wasn't careful about knowing what position it was in when I removed it. No hole or beak as of that time. I haven't bothered her and the egg since. She also has the two day old under her wings.

I didn't see any crack. I just feel awful and worried because although I looked at it when I removed it out from under her, I wasn't careful about knowing what position it was in when I removed it. No hole or beak as of that time. I haven't bothered her and the egg since. She also has the two day old under her wings.
You probably didn't ruin it! I once moved an entire nest and the mom on what I thought was the start of the three-day "lock down." Low and behold all the eggs hatched the next day! Mama doesn't necessarily know it's "lock down" time and I'm sure plenty of mom's have jostled their eggs up til hatch day.

So if the one that is trying to break out of the egg is being sat on by Meg how does it get out? And what about the now 3 day olds? How do they or will they leave mom to get food and water? Do they know to come out from under her?
I hear faint peeping from someone under there and she tilts her head to listen too.

Back
Top Bottom