Help Day 30 and no internal pip. Indian Runner

KCO

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2021
Hi,
I am new to hatching and agreed to give it a try with Indian Runner duck eggs from a friend.
We are on day 30 today and I still do not see an internal pip when I candle them. I also don’t see much movement, just a shift here or there. I do see blood vessels and the air sac. I opted to do the float test today and according to all the information, they are viable.
Is it time to intervene with a support hole? I am nervous that I may do more harm these good, but at this point I am willing to try.
I have kept the incubator at 99.5 and humidity around 40-50% and increased to 60-70% at lockdown. I live in dry climate so keeping the humidity up has been challenging and I am concerned that eggs may have been too warm because my calibrated therm is located on the edge of the incubator.
Please any advice is welcomed.

Sorry to have seen this so late. Did any ducklings manage to hatch? 'Too high' temperatures can be problematic in incubations.
No, they passed away. I feel terrible about the outcome. I have now been doing tests with the incubator and four calibrated thermometers llocated in different areas of the incubator and now know the temperature at the bottom of the incubator( where I placed them for hatching) is much lower than where the turning tray is located about 6” above. I don’t know what the reason they ultimately passed away from but when I opened up the eggs, the yolk was still present and the veins were not dried up. Also the membrane looked dry. I am continuing to do research and will not attempt to hatch again until I am very comfortable with the incubator and have dialed in on the controls.

Back
Top Bottom