DeeSmith1072

Hatching
Feb 15, 2021
Hey all,
I've got a batch of day old silkie chickens and one has curled toes. Most of them have polydactyl toes but this one also has curled up toes. I think from a traumatic hatch, and I say that because I've read about it in this forum when we first noticed it, only one has both feet- one only has one foot I think, most aren't fully dry yet so they're still in the bater- it came out with the cord and yolk attached and it took by far the longest of all of them to be able to get out of that smushed shape.

The thing is, so far at least, she gets along well, I've had her on a non slip surface, she was able to climb from my hand back into the bater after I checked her out and she has not a problem running around knocking into everyone else.
I know that I need to keep an eye on this but how long do I have to take corrective action?
Has anyone not corrected this and what was the outcome for that little life?
I'm asking because it's just me and my 4 year old here and I'm worried that the stress of trying to have her help me fit it with little sandals might be too much for a young chick. I won't have any help for two weeks.
Also, the one with only one curled, if that one gets around well- and I'm not sure if it does or not, it's not able to come out yet and it's hard to keep track of individuals- is it more crucial to do that one?
Picture of the little bittie so you can see what I'm talking about and the severity.

Attachments

• PXL_20210215_202725844.jpg
    PXL_20210215_202725844.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 28
Get a piece of either blue painter's tape or scotch tape and uncurl her toes and stick her foot down on the tape, then fold the tape over the top of her foot and stick it to itself. Holds the toes in an uncurled position. I can't recall how long they recommend leaving it...maybe try a couple days and then take it off an evaluate?

Make sure to use tape that is gentle enough to come off again easily, and watch for bullying from the other chicks. You may need to separate her if they peck at her feet a lot.

Back
Top Bottom