Help! Dead with intestines hanging out! Please Help!

Pippy1

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
On Friday 24th, I bought tiny chicks that I was told were a couple of days old from IFA.
I bought 2 buff orpingtons., 2 black australorps, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 2 Ameraucnas.
One ameraucana died a short time later that day and the "warranty" was still good and so I went back and got another ameraucana. They have all been doing great and growing and very active until today. Had a little pasty butt with both of the Orpingtons, but gently removed and fed scrambled egg and they have been good. Today one Americana was dead this morning when I got up. I couldn't see anything wrong with her, just lying there dead. Now, I just found the second Ameraucana laying there dead and a whole bunch of her intestines were outside her body and the other chicks were pecking at them and eating them. So both Ameraucanas are gone! I don't know what is happening! Help! They were very active and growing and eating great and looked fine! Feathers starting to grow etc.! I think the first one that died during the night had probably the same thing,but the others had eaten the intestines and so I didn't see them. Please help! What is wrong? Could it just be this breed- one died the first day, now the other two! So sad! I don't want to loose the rest if I can do something!

Greetings from Kansas, Pippy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Please you joined our flock but so sorry to hear about your two losses!
hugs.gif
Hard to tell what happened. Chickens can be very brutal and if they started pecking at the behinds of those two - if they had succumbed to pasty butt, for instance, that is what may have done them in. You might try posting the symptoms you mentioned in the Emergencies Forum here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
Best wishes to the rest of your flock and I hope the ER folks can help you out!

Thank you for your reply.
I know they did not have pasty butt because I am checking them out morning and night. Only the Orpingtons both had it, but now they are good too. I had not seen any pecking at rear ends either, so I don't know? I'm not even sure the first one had the intestines coming out or not. I got her out of the trash and looked at her rear when I found the second one with the intestines out and I don't see any evidence of there being intestines that were out. No leftover blood from them pecking or anything, so......?? I am keeping things really clean with new pine shavings and clean water twice a day and crumble chick starter that is non GMO etc.
I'm trying! Maybe this breed had a disease or ?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here but I'm sorry it's not under better circumstances and that you have lost chicks :( It could may well be an underlying issue with just those chicks as from what you have said you are caring for them well. The intestine issue could have easily been caused by the other chicks after death had occurred. It would have only taken a few pecks to draw blood and therefore send the other chicks into a pecking frenzy so to speak and for it turn into a mess with the chick that passed. Alternatively it could have had a hernia in the umbilical area which caused the intestines to come out.

Sorry for your losses and I wish you well with your remaining chicks :frow

On Friday 24th, I bought tiny chicks that I was told were a couple of days old from IFA.
I bought 2 buff orpingtons., 2 black australorps, 1 barred rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 2 Ameraucnas.
One ameraucana died a short time later that day and the "warranty" was still good and so I went back and got another ameraucana. They have all been doing great and growing and very active until today. Had a little pasty butt with both of the Orpingtons, but gently removed and fed scrambled egg and they have been good. Today one Americana was dead this morning when I got up. I couldn't see anything wrong with her, just lying there dead. Now, I just found the second Ameraucana laying there dead and a whole bunch of her intestines were outside her body and the other chicks were pecking at them and eating them. So both Ameraucanas are gone! I don't know what is happening! Help! They were very active and growing and eating great and looked fine! Feathers starting to grow etc.! I think the first one that died during the night had probably the same thing,but the others had eaten the intestines and so I didn't see them. Please help! What is wrong? Could it just be this breed- one died the first day, now the other two! So sad! I don't want to loose the rest if I can do something!
It might be Pullorum.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom