Help determining breed

Jakesgirl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hey guys my grandfather had a beautiful flock of these chickens, but after his death the flock was lost thanks to a dispute over his estate. I am trying to find out what breed of chicken he had so that I can get some more and restore his farm to its former glory. Below is a picture of the only chick I was able to save please take a look and let me know if you have any information that might help me identify the breed. Thanks so much in advance for your help!!

I'm so sorry! I'm glad you were able to save at least one... blood line is important is you want to return his farm to what it was.. You will want to get the best quality chicken not just any that fits the breed.

If you can provide us more information about what the adults looked like and their size it would help us. Many chicks look similar but look way different when grown and I wouldn't want you to think it was one chicken, buy a bunch and find out we were wrong.

What did the adult chickens look like? Smooth feathers? What colors? Did they have lacing or spots? How big were they? Standard chicken size or smaller? Do you know what color eggs they lay?

I'm so sorry! I'm glad you were able to save at least one... blood line is important is you want to return his farm to what it was.. You will want to get the best quality chicken not just any that fits the breed.

If you can provide us more information about what the adults looked like and their size it would help us. Many chicks look similar but look way different when grown and I wouldn't want you to think it was one chicken, buy a bunch and find out we were wrong.

What did the adult chickens look like? Smooth feathers? What colors? Did they have lacing or spots? How big were they? Standard chicken size or smaller? Do you know what color eggs they lay?
x2

X3. Answers to these questions will help.

Wow guys! Thanks so much for all the responses!! They were a large chicken with smooth feathers, mostly white with a few black specks. They didn't have "tuffs" around their feet or ears and they laid brown eggs. Also most of them had a greenish tint to their legs. Below is a pic I found online and the hen has a similar color pattern:

I don't think that's them, mine have a much more defined pattern. I think it might be these Erminette, what do you guys think?

(Note: these are not my photos they were posted by someone else on this site to show an example of the breed)

I don't think that's them, mine have a much more defined pattern. I think it might be these Erminette, what do you guys think?

(Note: these are not my photos they were posted by someone else on this site to show an example of the breed)
It is possible that they were that breed, though I've never heard of them before and don't know how common they are. Just one thing, though: does your single chick have a rose comb or single comb? The above birds have single combs. However, the photo you posted earlier of a hen that looked similar had a rose comb.

I can't remember what the adults' combs looked like and I think the chick is still too young to tell. I honestly didn't know that there were different types of combs until you asked! Would more pictures help?
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom