help! DH doesn't want chix...

a57californiachick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
I am interested in raising my own chix for eggs and food. DH doesn't want anything to do with it. How do I convince him that it's a worthy hobby. I have tried saying that we would have fresh eggs and fresh organic meat, but to no avail. HELP!!!

buy some ,,,,, worked for all of us
wink.png

do you live where you have room for chickens? I am lucky my DH built me 2 chicken houses.
4 years ago I ordered 25 rooster chicks from mcmurray hatchery without telling him, then I did tell him, and since I told them they were for meat he was ok with that,
then we ended up with 2 hens, so we kept 2 hens and a rooster.
that is before we had our farm!
now we have about 100 chickens, he really enjoys watching them run around, and not to mention when the first batch came, we would sit and watch them in the brooder that we had in our kitchen, better than tv.
that is when he fell in love with them!
We were both raised on farms though, so I didn't have to worry too much.
maybe you can get a few and just get him used to that!?

Mine wasn't really sure on the idea either, so I ordered a shed to be built built outside in our backyard and converted it into a coop. I then came home with a ton of information and books on chickens that I sat pouring over night after night. Gave him daily "interesting chicken facts" that he wouldn't have otherwise known, nor thought to ask about. But it wasn't until I had our hatching eggs delivered that he started to go, "Well, maybe I can set my web cam up and we can stream the chicks hatching live over the internet," that I knew I had him hooked.
wink.png
He was even genuinely disappointed when some of the eggs turned out to be duds.

P.S. My husband and I both were kids of the suburbs growing up, so this is totally new to both of us!

Last edited:
Mine was sold on the insect control idea...less ticks! Not sure if they are pesky where you are but other insect control ideas may work! Good luck, they are so much fun!

dare I say what everyone is thinking?

there's always divorce court!

(just kidding!)

Welcome to the Forum!

Last edited:
It can be your hobby, it doesn't have to be a joint effort. He may get into it once he sees how they are.

What doesn't he like about it? Do you need his permission or help to start?

Mine wasn't too thrilled either, he isn't an animal person and he married the wrong person!!
But I did like someone else said, as I was learning and reading I would tell him these cute and fun facts about chickens.

I also did a lot of research before I got mine, so he knew what was coming too.
Plus the kids were excited too, it was 4 against 1!

If you want them, get them!

Now that I just read that they found traces of melamine in chinese eggs, I am so happy I'm making my own!

My DH doesn't like my chickens AT ALL... I wanted some last spring and he FREAKED, he thought I wouldn't take care of them (?????) and argued I had enough obligations in the house, blah blah blah (our youngest wasn't walking, yet) and he really wanted me to wait a year, so I respected his fears and waited. Why, oh why did I marry a city boy?

This spring I was getting chickens come hell or high water. He still didn't like the idea, but overall decided he "loved me more than he hated chickens." His conditions were:

1. He was not going to help me. No help building the coop or finacing the operation. (So I have the ugliest coop on BYC and I'm a SAHM, so I finaced my chickens by selling stuff on ebay)
2. He didn't want chickens roaming around, they might actually come near him. I agreed not to free-range the birds.
3. He didn't want to smell them or their coop. He agreed not to go within 20 yrds of the coop and they don't smell. I found some great tips on keeping a coop fresh on here.
4. He HATES eggs - he has some sort of pathologic phobia about eggs, so I can't lure him that way.
5. He wouldn't mind eating the birds, but he won't have anything to do with the processing.

He's rather upset at how many I have, but I've kept all my promises and he even watched them when I went on a week-long all-expense-paid vacation with our kids. He doesn't mind the roosters either. He is worried I'll start hatching chicks left and right, though.

Once my girls starting laying well, I started giving eggs out to all the neighbors. The very next day, one of the neighbors brought us the most delicious (still warm) homemade pound cake and he said, "I like your chickens better right now than I ever have."

I hope your DH relents. Maybe if you can get him to share specific concerns you can work on overcoming them. Feel free to PM me anytime. I feel your pain...

Its easy to convert chicken-eaters to chicken-loverrrs¢¾ LOL just buy somee I mean if he truely does not want them after that your friends here will surly buy them from you.

Well we will keep our fingers crossed for you! My dh wasn't to keen on the idea until I ordered the chicks and he watched them grow! And then he started expanding to our coops and then the second batch of chicks was ordered! Good Luck
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom