Help diagnose problem and find cure

Farmlife365

Hatching
Jun 12, 2020
Hi I was doing my daily checks on my americauna chicks when I saw this little one had a problem. I didn’t quite know what it was so I cleaned it but now I’m worried it’s gotten a lot worse and would like to know how I will be able to help this little one as soon as possible thank you to anyone who can help me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 38
This looks like constipation/blockage of vent to me. Your chick can't get the poop out and therefore the vent is swollen.

You might want to wash gently with warm water while holding it under the tab.

Put some warm oil on to the cemented poop and try very carefully to get some of the glotted poop out of the vent.

How old is this chick and what are you feeding?

Check the temperature and ventilation in the brooder, it might be too hot.
And always have the water dispenser filled with fresh water or tea (camomile, fennel or such).

After cleaning the vent you might want to have it swallow some oil ( coconut oil or sunflower etc.). Be careful to only administer one drop at a time, or in case of coconut oil little pieces so not to drown or suffocate the chick.

thank you for the help, the chick is about a month old and we are feeding them medicated chick food. Which oil would you recommend putting on the chicks vent?

Warm coconut would be my choice, but sunflower or corn oil will work as well.

But first let it soak a while under the running warm water, this might just soften the clod enough to get most of it out.

I agree with LaFleche that it looks like constipation. Offer chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces which usually, they will peck. 1/2 -1 tsp should do well, and it can be repeated in one day. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. Lubricate the vent opening with a QTip and some oil as well.

Hello Farmlife365,
how is your chick doing today, was it able to poop properly?
Yes It was, the swelling has gone down completely and she is looking much better. We bought a probiotic to put in our chicks water and I’m gonna feed it some more coconut oil to completely make sure she gets completely better and has no more blockage we cannot see. Thank you so much for the advice I appreciate it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom