Help diagnosing hen who can’t walk

RebekahMarie

Chirping
Jan 20, 2022
North Carolina, US
I have a beautiful Dominique laying hen. I don’t know how old she is because I got her as a laying hen from Craigslist. I’ve had her for over 2 years. About 2 weeks ago I noticed she started limping. She continued to limp but apparently it has gotten worse because starting yesterday she just sits in the run and doesn’t move at all. I’ve looked over both her feet and legs several times and I don’t see any problems at all.
Any ideas what could be wrong? Is there anything I can do for her?

When did she last lay an egg?

How do her droppings look?

Does her crop empty overnight?

When did you last deworm her?

Can you feel her abdomen if it is swollen?

Did you check her and the entire coop for mites and lice?

A lot of hens who have reproductive disorders or infection may become less active, have trouble walking, not roost, and sit a lot due to pressure inside the abdomen. Egg masses from salpingitis or infection, cancer, or ascites can be causes. Does she walk with her legs wide or waddle, or does she hold one leg up, or act like one leg is asleep when she walks on it.

When did she last lay an egg?

How do her droppings look?

Does her crop empty overnight?

When did you last deworm her?

Can you feel her abdomen if it is swollen?

Did you check her and the entire coop for mites and lice?
I don’t know when she last laid because I have 13 laying hens in one coop/run. I also don’t know about the droppings for the same reason.

I never have dewormed any of my flock.

I’ve had mites in the past in the coop but no evidence of any now.

I just went out to check on her and she’s dead.

A lot of hens who have reproductive disorders or infection may become less active, have trouble walking, not roost, and sit a lot due to pressure inside the abdomen. Egg masses from salpingitis or infection, cancer, or ascites can be causes. Does she walk with her legs wide or waddle, or does she hold one leg up, or act like one leg is asleep when she walks on it.
She almost seemed like one leg was asleep when she was limping.

I don’t know when she last laid because I have 13 laying hens in one coop/run. I also don’t know about the droppings for the same reason.

I never have dewormed any of my flock.

I’ve had mites in the past in the coop but no evidence of any now.

I just went out to check on her and she’s dead.
I am very sorry you lost her. :hugs

If you are up to it, you could perform a home necropsy or send her in to your state vet lab to determine what the cause was.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/livestock-biosecurity/chicken-necropsy-guide

Last edited:
There are serious avian viruses that cause the symptoms you saw in this hen. It's highly advisable to find out cause of death since it can have consequences for your entire flock. Contact your state ag lab for information on getting this hen necropsied. Meanwhile, refrigerate the body, don't freeze it, and make the call to these folks.
North Carolina Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory System (Raleigh)

Back
Top Bottom