Help! Diarrhea and acting odd

Thank you eggcessive! Good to know about not being contagious I was worried about me and all my animals. But wouldn't my other hens have the same symptoms. The other 2 act completely normal.

I'm crossing my fingers that she just has an upset stomach. Really she's just acting off, that and the diarrhea. She doesn't act or look SICK just, off. I hope that makes sense lol.

One hen can get sick with cocci and may look puny. Since it sometimes takes 3 days of infection for symptoms to show up, there can be a spread in who gets sick. Since she is 8 months old, and most hens have developed a tolerance for cocci in the soil, she may not have become immune, and could be the only one that gets sick. A vet could test a fresh early morning stool sample for both cocci and worms. All chickens will have a little cocci, but if the sample show a lot of oocysts, then I would treat. All chickens get worms too, and a stool sample can tell which ones. Fortunately Valbazen takes care of all chicken worms. Corid or amprollium dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is found in the cattle medicines at most feed store.

I'll look into that. I'll keep a close eye one the other two and if they continue to act normal, then I'm not sure what I'll do. Hopefully she gets better, I'm staying hopeful just because she isn't acting too bad. I keep them all clean and well cared for hopefully she just ate something.

Don't be afraid of worming them. A lot of people are afraid of using chemicals, but wormers such as Valbazen and fenbendazole (SafeGuard Goat wormer, Panacur equine paste) are much easier on chickens than the damage that worms can do to their intestines.

Could fowl pox cause them to act this way? I think they might be getting over a small case of that. A few days ago one other chicken had runny poo but now it's back to normal. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that.

That might be the case then, it's nothing too bad but they do have fowl pox. If it was worms would they all have them, and wouldn't I see the worms in the poop.

Back
Top Bottom