Help! Diarrhea and acting odd

I brought Mother in the house and gave her an epsom salt bath, she is resting now. she is eating and drinking. I tried to get her to eat some tums as I don't have liquid calcium, she took a couple of nibbles at the smashed up tums, she is resting in the cage inside the house for now. The vet did a fecal and checked for worms and such yesterday, nothing there. I didn't bring her in to the vet today, i'll wait and see how it goes, x-rays and surgery sound pretty expensive, which I wouldn't really mind if the vet knew if that was the case, but she doesn't seem to know anything for sure, I wish we had an actual avian vet around here or chicken vet.

She probably had worms.

-Kathy
I really don't know what is going on. She still poops 10 times as much as the other two chickens. In the morning on the poop board there is a huge wet pile of pudding like poo under her. It soaks the sweet pdz in the tray. The other two have normal looking and amount of poo under them. I can post a pic of the board tomorrow.

Last edited:

This was under Lucy

This was under the other two.
This has been going on for almost two months now.

My guess would be she had worms, too. Worms kill a lot of chickens.
That's my guess, too. Would be nice to know what worms to treat for since something like the capillary worm does require more aggressive treatment.

When I suspect capillary worms I use Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.23ml per pound (50mg/kg) for five days in a row.

-Kathy

@casportponyShe has has safeguard 1ml for 5 days, she has had Corid and also tylan. Would any vet be able to do that? I am not finding any chicken vets near me I basically live in the suburbs.

Last edited:
@casportpony She has has safeguard 1ml for 5 days, she has had Corid and also tylan. Would any vet be able to do that? I am not finding any chicken vets near me I basically live in the suburbs.
Try looking for a vet that sees caged birds and exotics.

-Kathy

Well, I think I finally got the diarrhea issue under control. I fed them all oatmeal with pet probiotics mixed in, this is what I give my dogs, but figured what the heck. This morning on the roost most of the poo was solid, mothers was mostly solid, just a little damp. I hope we've turned the corner on this. Been fighting this diarrhea for a while now. http://www.amazon.com/Mercola-Compl...418083162&sr=1-1&keywords=probiotics+for+pets

Back
Top Bottom