Help! Diarrhea and acting odd

That's what alerted me to the problem, I had not picked her up in a while and when I did she was noticeably lighter. She is also in the process of molting, most of her new feathers are about 1" long. I was feeding her layer pellets but switched to flock raiser since only one of three was laying. I have oyster shell and grit available in separate dispensers. I did introduce a new bird to replace a mis-identified rooster but now that I think about it she has had runny poop since before that. I was not able to completely quarantine the new bird but I did divide the run and gave the new bird her own space, mostly to avoid any over pecking or injury. It was exposed to the other two and I put them all on the roost at night.
How old and what breed?

-Kathy

She is a Gold Comet, and as far as I know she is about 9 months old - I got her mid-July and she laid an egg a week later. Maybe she is older and it was just stress/shock and had already been laying?
She has not laid an egg in over 2 weeks

Last edited:
I was holding mine this morning and I haven't noticed anything different in her weight. She seems the same.

If she were to have worms, would apple cider vinegar and garlic in their water help her. Also, If one had worms wouldn't the others??

If she were to have worms, would apple cider vinegar and garlic in their water help her. Also, If one had worms wouldn't the others??
ACV and garlic in the water won't treat or prevent worms. If one has them, the others probably do, but not all birds will show evidence of worms. I just assume they all have worms and worm them with Safeguard to rule out the possibility that worms are making them sick.

-Kathy

Ok, if I get safeguard how should I go about giving it to them? Also, is there any remedies you know for stopping her diarrhea, or at least helping it a little bit. I tried white rice but she wasnt really interested.

If they can have goat dewormer, could they have cattle or equine dewormer? Does it make a difference?

This is what I am using

I use a 1ml syringe with no needle and give it to them by mouth. It can also be mixed in the water - Kathy has links to the proper dosages

Last edited:
thank you 11mini! I looked into that and they have it at a local farm store, I will for sure use it. hopefully it will clear up the diarrhea and fix the problem.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom