Help! Diarrhea in 4 day old quail, just noticed it this morning, came home from work to a dead bird!

iheartquail

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
If anyone could help me out quickly I would greatly appreciate it! I noticed this morning a couple of the birds had watery brown poop. I came home from work and one was dead. What do I do? What kind of medicine?
Thanks!!!

I won't claim to be an expert but I add apple cider vinegar in my quails food. It's supposed to help with digestion and prevent direaha. I've fed it to them since day 1 and haven't had any problems.

If you have a walmart nearby they should sell the Heinz brand, just get one that says "With Mother". That means it will still have the active culture. I mix mine with water and the food and let it soak for 24-48 hours but that might be too long to wait if they're sick and need something right now.

I don't know much about this but I did an Internet search on common quail diseases and found this

http://featherbuzz.hubpages.com/hub/Disease-In-Quails

"Quail Disease: This is a bacterial disease. There are two forms of quail disease. The first form is highly chronic and a mortality rate of 100% is observed among the infected birds. The major symptom is diarrhea, with white colored feces."

Well that would really suck if it was quail disease... The poop wasn't white though. It was brown. And runny.

I won't claim to be an expert but I add apple cider vinegar in my quails food. It's supposed to help with digestion and prevent direaha. I've fed it to them since day 1 and haven't had any problems.

If you have a walmart nearby they should sell the Heinz brand, just get one that says "With Mother". That means it will still have the active culture. I mix mine with water and the food and let it soak for 24-48 hours but that might be too long to wait if they're sick and need something right now.

I actually purchased some today and put it in their water. I wasn't sure about the dose. How much do you add?

I fill a peanut butter jar (maybe 14oz? ) almost to the top with food, add maybe 2 tablespoons of ACV (I just guess as I'm pouring it in), then fill with water untill it covers the food.

If you are going to use ACV (apple cider vinegar), it is mixed 2-3 tablespoons per gallon. Any more and the it is not palitable and they will not drink it. You can also use probiotics which work extremely well with GI enteritis's.

What is the temp in your brooder? It should be at 95 degrees, heat off to one side, no drafts, do not cover the lid of the brooder with anything but a screen or wire, and keep the water and feed on the other side out of the heat.

Make sure your feed smells fresh, no mold or spider webs in it. Change water daily.

Back
Top Bottom