Help! Did my broody kill all her eggs?

Sagey_7878

Songster
Sep 1, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone, so I’ll get into it. My coronation Sussex is sitting (or was) sitting on a dozen fertile eggs. It’s day 2 and today when she came out to refresh herself, one was broken in the nest (the other eggs got yolk on them, I tried wiping it with warm water but most of it was dried up) and she also rolled an egg down the ramp!, and it didn’t crack! Why is she doing this? Will chicks still hatch since the yolk? Broody hens really do annoy me. Thanks in advance. She is still broody and went back to sit on the eggs.

I bet she knew the one she rolled down the ramp wasn't viable. As for the one that got cracked it could have been an accident especially if shes not eating all the other ones. That's disappointing though to find you losing eggs.

I bet she knew the one she rolled down the ramp wasn't viable. As for the one that got cracked it could have been an accident especially if shes not eating all the other ones. That's disappointing though to find you losing eggs.
Thanks for the response. Will the other eggs still hatch? I put the egg she rolled back in the nest. At this stage the eggs only have heartbeat at the most. Have 11 eggs now. I predict it’ll go down.

I bet she knew the one she rolled down the ramp wasn't viable. As for the one that got cracked it could have been an accident especially if shes not eating all the other ones. That's disappointing though to find you losing
Hi everyone, so I’ll get into it. My coronation Sussex is sitting (or was) sitting on a dozen fertile eggs. It’s day 2 and today when she came out to refresh herself, one was broken in the nest (the other eggs got yolk on them, I tried wiping it with warm water but most of it was dried up) and she also rolled an egg down the ramp!, and it didn’t crack! Why is she doing this? Will chicks still hatch since the yolk? Broody hens really do annoy me. Thanks in advance. She is still broody and went back to sit on the eggs.
If she is pecking her eggs her calcium could be low. Is this the first time she has sat a nest?

Thanks for the response. Will the other eggs still hatch? I put the egg she rolled back in the nest. At this stage the eggs only have heartbeat at the most. Have 11 eggs now. I predict it’ll go down.

As long as she stays laying on them. They can't let them get cold. I have never had a broody hen well once or twice they got a little broody but they always gave up. You may as well wait and see!! I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom