HELP Disaster struck. What to do with traumatized lonely hen?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I am heart brokenšŸ˜­
Yesterday I got two new chickens that were best friends. Then last night the fox came for the first time in almost 5 years and tore the coop apart and ate one of the new hens.

What do I do now? The other hen is lonely and probably traumatized from watching her best friend get eaten my a fox and its babies.

Treat her for shock if needed - keep her in a dark, warm, quiet place. Make sure she is eating and drinking.
You might want to get her another friend sooner rather than later.
So sorry this happened to you and your hen :hugs
Thank you for your answer and help, I placed her inside with electrolyte water and food. My guess is that she is in shock but how do you treat that?šŸ˜Š

I am so sorry about the fox attack. My Buff Orp was the lone survivor of a mink attack that killed the three coop mates she had grown up with. Honey was pretty skittish for a long time after that. I moved her to a coop with other hens, but she wasn't feeling immediately social.

Taking your girl inside, keeping her warm, making her feel safe, and giving her electrolytes is a really good course of action. I don't know that there's much else you can do, except wait for her to recover from the trauma, which she certainly can. Today, Honey is the undisputed queen of the chickens and will gladly peck anyone who thinks otherwise.

I hope you can find a new friend for your girl and that you can repair the coop so it's safer. Also, it's likely that YOU need to recover a bit. Having something kill your chickens can make you feel unsettled for quite a while, too.

Take care.

I am so sorry about the fox attack. My Buff Orp was the lone survivor of a mink attack that killed the three coop mates she had grown up with. Honey was pretty skittish for a long time after that. I moved her to a coop with other hens, but she wasn't feeling immediately social.

Taking your girl inside, keeping her warm, making her feel safe, and giving her electrolytes is a really good course of action. I don't know that there's much else you can do, except wait for her to recover from the trauma, which she certainly can. Today, Honey is the undisputed queen of the chickens and will gladly peck anyone who thinks otherwise.

I hope you can find a new friend for your girl and that you can repair the coop so it's safer. Also, it's likely that YOU need to recover a bit. Having something kill your chickens can make you feel unsettled for quite a while, too.

Take care.
Thank you for your answer, your definitely right, it was also a very scary thing for me.

The hen is doing better now,she is very scared still also scared of me wich is fair considering we got her yesterday. I think she broke one of her toes and lost a bit of tail feathers in the attack but other than that she is ā€œfineā€. Iā€™m writing to the person I bought her from to see if she had any other friends who we can buy.
Thank your for the replyšŸ˜Š

UPDATE: the hen is slowly going out of her shock mode and is drinking and eating a tiny bit.
On Wednesday or Thursday Iā€™m going to the same place we got her from and getting another one hen from the flock she came from same breed and allšŸ˜Š
it will take some time to get it all sorted out but for her first day after the attack she is doing well.
Me and my mom went out where the other hen got eaten and inspected the coop some more, so we now know there were more than one fox and my hen wasnā€™t the first hen on that field to get eaten unfortunatelyšŸ˜•

Back
Top Bottom