Help. Disaster Stuck... again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, Apr 26, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright so I told you all how a week ago my Polish chicks got on the other side of the brooder and got trampled to death. Well.. My brillant mother decided to lock the big chicks in the run and let the babies run around a bit in the coop. So she leaned a piece of plywood up against the door while I was busy riding horses. I come in to check on my little sweeties, and I hear some chripping. [​IMG]

The piece of plywood had fallen down and all the big chicks were in with the little guys again. I freak out. And check. whew. Nobody appears hurt.

Well I go to pick the piece of plywood up and throw all the big ones out. And WAHHHH there is two chicks that got squished when it fell, then walked on top of! And unfortunetly one is my polish's again! I lost one of every single color of polish chicks now!

I instantly start bawling. And I go to pick the two little dead chickes up and the BLRW starts crying. It's alive! I don't know how after being smushed into a pancake, but it is. So I rush it into the house.

I cry over it and hold it and stroke it for a few hours, and give it water and some food. Then I put it in my inside broody with my tiny chicks. It ate, drank. But mostly it just stands there, with it's feathers all puffed up and trembling. I think it is really hurting.

Well against my belief it lived through the night. It still just stands all puffed up and shakes. I have to leave tomorrow to go to a 4 day government class. *bangs head on desk* And I'm freaking out cause I don't think my family can take care of it like I can.

Is there anything I should do? What could I do to make it better? It seems... not to have anything broken. But I'm so worried it has like internal damage or something.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Here 'she' (not sure on gender yet) is sleeping on me right now. It acts like this all the time. Fluffed up, won't sit down. I sleeps standing up with it's head resting on something. And it wants to sleep all the time. I've decided to call her Miracle. It was a miracle she was still alive after being smushed. And it will be a miracle if she is alive when I get home.

[​IMG]

She is such a sweetheart. She lets me pet and handle her all I want. Poor little thing. I am going to be heartbroken.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd give her water/gatorade mixed and then pray. A lot.

4. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm already praying a lot. But yeah. We feed that to our goats when they get sick.

Poor little dear. She is just sleeping on the desk for hours now. I'm so sad I am leaving I want to be here with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by