Help! Do i need to help my little duckling hatch?????

Meganwilson14

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
I have 7 ducklings expected to hatch! Today was suppose to be lockdown day which i decided to do yesterday and thank goodness i did!!!! One pipped 3 days ago and two pipped yesterday! My first one that pipped is really worrying me what should i do???? Posting picture so you can see him!
20191001_061418.jpg

I'm not experienced with hatching duck eggs. I've only incubated chickens and only had to assist one, this last time I hatched.

How long have they been in the incubator?
If it's been 3 days since that one pipped, personally I would start to help it. Just keep the membrane moist and watch for bleeding.

I just read on here that it can take up to 48 hrs for ducks to hatch out all the way. However, there is a wonderful guide to assisted hatching on here as well. I followed it and my little chick made it.

I'd wait until a few more experienced duck people chime in, but when it came to assisting my chick, i went with my gut and decided to help him. I didnt help another when I thought I should have and it did not make it.

Good luck with your new babies!

I'm not experienced with hatching duck eggs. I've only incubated chickens and only had to assist one, this last time I hatched.

How long have they been in the incubator?
If it's been 3 days since that one pipped, personally I would start to help it. Just keep the membrane moist and watch for bleeding.

I just read on here that it can take up to 48 hrs for ducks to hatch out all the way. However, there is a wonderful guide to assisted hatching on here as well. I followed it and my little chick made it.

I'd wait until a few more experienced duck people chime in, but when it came to assisting my chick, i went with my gut and decided to help him. I didnt help another when I thought I should have and it did not make it.

Good luck with your new babies!
Thank you! He looks like he drying out and feathers that are out are dry

Thank you! He looks like he drying out and feathers that are out are dry
Ok I would intervene. This happened with the chick i had stuck. The exposed feathers were dying out and the membrane was sticking to him and he couldn't move.

Do you have vaseline/neosporin like antibiotic cream or coconut oil?

You will also need tweezers and cotton swabs to apply said cream/oil.

Sterilize the tweezers with alcohol. I'll see of I cant find that assisted hatch guide

Ok I would intervene. This happened with the chick i had stuck. The exposed feathers were dying out and the membrane was sticking to him and he couldn't move.

Do you have vaseline/neosporin like antibiotic cream or coconut oil?

You will also need tweezers and cotton swabs to apply said cream/oil.

Sterilize the tweezers with alcohol. I'll see of I cant find that assisted hatch guide
Iam worried if i open incubator the others will dry out???

If you have humidifiers, run a couple in the room where you are incubating. I did this when I had to assist my guy and it helped me not worry so much about shrinkwrapping the others.

I had 2 more hatch on their own while I was assisting my guy.

Iam worried if i open incubator the others will dry out???
If you can get the external humidity up in the room you wont worry so much. Also, if you're quick quick about it they should be ok. Lots of other people are constantly messing with the bator, even during lockdown. There is a whole thread on it. Lol

I ran an electric heater, a steam humidifier and a cool air humidifier when I had to be getting into the incubator during lockdown this last time.

I hope someone else with more experience pops in. I dont want to see you loose the little guy. Its heartbreaking to watch.

Back
Top Bottom