HELP! Do nits fall off feathers once they are dead?

MichelleMillar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
My first two chickens are rescues they were covered in lice a very intense infestation. They were treated with ivermectin and I haven’t seen any reoccuring active lice. I noticed my rooster wasn’t himself. So I looked him over well today and he’s covered in nits!!! This is a brand new coop and I’ve cleaned out it dusted it etc.... could this be old stuff that hasn’t come off or am I looking at another infestation 🥺🥺🥺 can I do ivermectin again or what do I do? It hasn’t even been a month!

The old nits stay on for a long time, months even. Some people use coconut oil to try to soften and remove them, but if you are not seeing any live lice I personally would not worry about it.

Do you see any moving live lice? Most chemicals (permethrin, etc) treat live lice, but don’t kill eggs. When the eggs hatch out every 10 days, hopefully the product lasts long enough to kill the newly hatched ones. I believe that ivermectin may not be as effective against lice, and it needs to be applied once and again in 14 days.

Do you see any moving live lice? Most chemicals (permethrin, etc) treat live lice, but don’t kill eggs. When the eggs hatch out every 10 days, hopefully the product lasts long enough to kill the newly hatched ones. I believe that ivermectin may not be as effective against lice, and it needs to be applied once and again in 14 days.
Yes I treated them twice. I will go out tonight and check for moving lice. I haven’t seen anything active but haven’t checked at night in a while. found all the grossness at the base of the feathers today 🤢🤢🤢 I just need to know if the nits fall off when dead of if they stay

Back
Top Bottom