HELP: Does anyone have this feed? Does it have rumensin in it!?

accio! chickens

Songster
10 Years
Nov 28, 2009
CANADA
ETA: THIS IS A CANADIAN FEED. I DON'T BELIEVE IT'S N-TIMIDATOR.

I bought what my mill called "goat ration" a month ago from the Madoc Co-op in Madoc, Ont. It's a 12% "sweetfeed" with no molasses so it's all loose. I can't remember if it had rumensin/monensin in it and we no longer have the bags. A couple days ago my brother gave the pony 2 cups of it and she got another 2 cups yesterday and 2 cups today, so in total 6 cups of it. The big mare got about scoop of it between yesterday and today mixed with some alfalfa pellets.

I was wondering if anyone had this feed for their goats, whether theirs has Rumensin in it or Monensin. I'm calling the mill tomorrow to find out for sure. I know someone who works there also and although he's not certain, he thinks it doesn't have it in it. I don't remember it having Rumensin or Monensin on the label. I don't believe it's a medicated feed. I think it's made by land o lakes and sold through the Madoc Co-op.

I haven't noticed any change in my horses behaviour/health, no restlessness, no noticeable muscle pain. They have digested most of the feed and pooped already. I found a case online of contaminated feed that was fed over the course of a summer by a farm in western Canada. From the sound of it by the end of the summer all the horses were experiencing restlessness and extreme muscle pain + a high pulse.

Help?

ETA: Its not a comtaminated horse feed, it's a goat ration. My brother didn't think anything of it at the time, he's only 14. I can't call the vet out until tomorrow, none of the roads are plowed and theres no lights down at the field and he wouldn't be able to get up the driveway anyway. I'm just hoping that someone on here feeds the same thing to their goats and will be able to tell me.

Dont know the answer to your question but I would check it out. I know a barn in which most of the horses died from using feed (feeding show horses heavily) sweet mix with that had one of the Ionophore drugs in it. Big mistake at the mill. . Not sure why but it is a bad baad deal for horses.

It's a coccidial drug. I found the guy my friend told me to ask on Facebook and messaged him. I'm desperatly hoping he'll message me back before this evening. He'll know if it has Rumensin in it. It's been about 36 hours since the pony first got the feed (she had 2 cups of it today) and so far we're okay. I checked on them about an hour ago and they both seem perfectly normal so far, I put her blanket on her earlier and she didn't seem to be in pain, she doesn't seem disoriented or suffering from muscle weakness.

I bet your ok but smart to continue to check it out. It doesnt sound like they got a lot. The guy i know was feeding very heavy to some show and sale horses. I do not know how long it took to get the reaction.

From what I've read it's 12-36 hours after ingestion/first symptoms that a horse can die. I would think that maybe within 24 hours you'd start to see signs? Common symptoms are disorientation, lack of muscle control particularly in the hind end, Loss of appetite (Mylie has been glued to her roundbale all day, Luna has for part of the day but she doesn't spend a lot of time at the round bale all at once, more like several trips a day).

I think I found proof that it's not approved for us in Goats in Canada and thus wouldn't be in our feed.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani … b57e.shtml

This website is an official government website here stating that it is

Approved for use
In meal or pellet feed for broiler chickens, cattle and turkeys.
In thixotrope liquid supplements for cattle (RUMENSIN PREMIX and COBAN PREMIX only and must not be fed directly).

I'm hoping I'm correct!

GOOD NEWS, THE FEED DOES NOT CONTAIN RUMENSIN/MONENSIN.

I said I added the feedmill guy to facebook. He confirmed it doesn't contain Rumension but to stop feeding and switch to horse sweetfeed because the nosel on the feed equipment is not cleaned before making goat feed. He also said that since it's been 3 days not to worry. Toxicity would have shown up earlier.

I'm buying a bag of sweetfeed tomorrow for the mares, I will continue to watch them for the week, and we should be fine!

Yippee!

I am happy for you as I know first hand how bad that stuff can be. It seems there would be more information out there about the consequence of horses getting into this feed.. I wonder how many people know how bad the Coccidiostats are for horses. I think medicated chick feed has a very similar medication, I wonder if it would be bad if horses ate it. It would be nice to know.

As I understand all cocciastats are toxic to horses. My feed guy stated that no goat feeds in Canada have rumensin in them. From the info I found on the Canadian Inspection Agency, it's not approved for use in Goats here. It is difficult if not impossible to find chicken feed medicated with Cocci meds here. I have never found any. I don't think many cow farmers buy grain either so the need for rumensin in cattle feeds wouldn't be very high, most farmers grow their own grain here.

Back
Top Bottom