Help Dog attack missing wounded and dead

Most drug stores or walmart should have betadine or hibiclens. Veterycin can be found most places that sell pet supplies, it's good for all species, look in the dog and cat stuff. Triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin (without pain killer) you should also be able to find in the first aid dept of any of those places. If you have any kind of feed store they may carry the penicillin, it's pretty commonly used for livestock. If not, then I would mail order amoxicillin as a fish antibiotic (Fish Mox) and get it there as quickly as you can. You can make sterile saline solution at home to use for flushing if you can't get anything else. 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt, boil for 15 minutes with the lid on. Let it cool to room temp and then put in a sterile bottle or jar.

Yes his wings are good. One side might be a little sore not using it that much. But it's on the opposite side of the wound. We got betadine and triple ointment I do have Tylan 200 if that will work o don't know. I don't know were to inject it my Turkeys took it in the mouth. The only other antibiotic I have for humans Mupirocin it is an ointment usp2% don't know if I can use it on him

Attachments

• 15627394849291159445464782950193.jpg
    15627394849291159445464782950193.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 4
Most drug stores or walmart should have betadine or hibiclens. Veterycin can be found most places that sell pet supplies, it's good for all species, look in the dog and cat stuff. Triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin (without pain killer) you should also be able to find in the first aid dept of any of those places. If you have any kind of feed store they may carry the penicillin, it's pretty commonly used for livestock. If not, then I would mail order amoxicillin as a fish antibiotic (Fish Mox) and get it there as quickly as you can. You can make sterile saline solution at home to use for flushing if you can't get anything else. 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt, boil for 15 minutes with the lid on. Let it cool to room temp and then put in a sterile bottle or jar.
I thought everyone had to stop selling penicillin at the stores with out a script. I'll look tomorrow for some I'll order some online now. So if I can find it I have some coming thank you for every thing. Will his skin grow back? He is doing good up walking around eating and drinking.

What should I buy and how do I use it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190709-222715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190709-222715_Chrome.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 4
I’m so sorry for your loss, Christina. That’s so many lost and maimed birds, it makes me so angry people can’t keep their dogs on their own property. I can’t offer advice as I’ve only ever had chickens completely killed by foxes or wounded to the point they needed to be put down. Good luck with it and I hope he pulls through

You should call around to vets in the area and see if any of them treat birds. Some of them might know what to do with chickens, or at least be willing to make an effort.

Sorry for your loss. It's important to legal document these killings. A bit late now but if this happens again, Dont Touch Dead Birds and photograph the position of injured but live ,birds you are trying to save. Call the Police to get a report and document what happened for legal purposes. Check Local and State Ordinances about nuisance Dogs and pet/livestock attack. They will lay out how this is to be resolved including compensation due, if any. Here ia an an Alaska State Statute...

AS § 03.55.030
This Alaska statute provides that any dog that habitually annoys any wild deer, reindeer, sheep, cattle, horse, or other animal or bird either domestic or wild, or evinces a disposition which makes it likely that it will without provocation bite an animal or fowl, may be lawfully killed by any person when it is found at large. The owner or keeper of the dog, if known or reasonably identifiable, shall be notified and given reasonable opportunity to restrain the dog before it is lawful to kill it.

I live in PA.
According to PA Commonwealth Law, you can kill, a dog that is Chasing or Attacking, people, pets or livestock. In the rural area I live in Bears, Foxes, or Raccoons can be more of an issue than Dogs. We, Armed or Our three Dogs supervise free Range time...JJ

Last edited:
I so sorry to hear about your losses :hugs

For this rooster, flush the wound well with betadine, saline or if you don't have those, use warm soapy water (rinse well). Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can get a better look at it and access the damage. Check him over carefully for any more wounds or punctures that may be hidden under the feathers.

Once you get a good look at the damage, if you can please post more photos that would be good.
Apply a triple antibiotic ointment or Vetericyn to the wounds.

Is he alert? Chickens can be in shock after an attack. I would offer him some sugar water or electrolytes. Plain water is fine too. He may not eat, but if you can keep him hydrated that would be good.
I totally agree with this post nice job wyorp rock

@Cristina Chicken Mix , the amoxicillin you pictured is correct. There are many online sources, use the one that works best for you. It comes in 250 mg or 500 mg tablets. I grind the tablets up and mix with softened (not melted) coconut oil, divide into the number of doses to get the correct dose for your chickens weight, and refrigerate or freeze on a bit of paper towel or parchment paper til firm. Then you have a custom pill the correct dose and it usually goes down easy. You can also mix in a bit of liverworst or other soft food, the important thing is to make sure the whole dose is given. Amoxicillin is usually tolerated pretty well. Many oral drugs are not available without prescription anymore, some of the injectables are still available for livestock without RX in most states, penicillin being one. There are several that you can get for pigeons or fish without a RX online, and they work fine.

Back
Top Bottom