HELP!!!! Dog attack (RIP, Ivan)

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
Ivan, my roo jumped the fence and attacked the dog. He's pretty bad. The skin has been pulled away from his neck and sits like a turtleneck sweater. I don't know what to do.
He's breathing. He doesn't seem to have any broken bones. He's neck is real ripped up.

3891_001.jpg

3891_attack.jpg

Last edited:
it looks like all of the skin is ripped off of his back?

I had a hen that was attacked and the back of her neck was ripped off...we put neosporin on it and covered it with gauze...waited to see if she would pull through the shock and she is fine now...

Last edited:
The skin is still on his back with no feathers, also underneath. The skin is off just about his whole neck down to the muscle

W had that with our hen...she was just laying there and we put her in a kitty carrier overnight and she was responsive by the next morning, not great, but responsive... She lost part of one earlobe and it looked like her mouth wouldn't close anymore, she looked so bad. After the swelling went down, everything went back to normal and she is even growing her feathers back... I hope he's ok!
hugs.gif

ETA, she had no skin on the back of her neck, we could see the muscles...

Last edited:
OMG sem... I am SO sorry. If you can get your hands on some silvadene cream it's used on burn units, it will give him the best chance of avoiding infection. If you can get some cover it as I dont know what happens if it's ingested.

The best thing to do is pour a Iodine solution over the area and let that dry a bit, then spray liberally with blue kote. Keep him in a clean, dry area for a while. If all that's missing is the feathers this to shall pass.

Oh your poor chicken.Have been there with some duck's and chickens.The best thing I have found to treat wounds like this is a gently wash it with a wound wash Bandaid makes a good one.Then VERY gentle pat with clean gause or a very soft paper towel.I don't apply ointments when the skin is so raw.Im sure it it painful enough without rubbing the wounds more.There are several good antibacterial sprays like Bactine or Dermaplast you can get at your local drug store or Walmart.Just make sure the birds eyes and head are covered when you spray.I had a duck badly eaten on its back and put the spray and gently changed the gauze for a couple weeks then when the skin starts to heal some change over to ointment to soften the scar tissue and keep it soft.The duck healed up great.Im no expert but but this is what I have found best for bad wounds like this.I hope your chicken gets better soon.Huggz and God Bless.DG

Back
Top Bottom