HELP! Dog attacked one of my girls

Carly Avgeris

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
kane county Illinois
This morning I noticed that my girls were running around my backyard and I had not let them out of their run. When I went to see what was going on I found my dachshund in the coop with one of the girls cornered. (This is very unlike him. He has never bothered them before and has always been very gentle with them.) (My girls are all 17 weeks old.)
There were feathers everywhere and I noticed that she was huddled in the corner not getting up. I called my Dad over to check her out. She has a bite in between her shoulder blades, a bite on her butt, and the worst one was on the side of her neck. I figured he would tell me to put her down( because that is typically his answer), but he said to let her wait out the day and see how she does.
I just check on her and she is now standing up. The other chickens are all huddled around her. I think he may have gotten one of the others based on the feather that still have to root on them all over the ground, but I couldn't find any sign of injury from the quick peek I took at them.
What should I do? Do I put her down or do I leave her be? And if I leave her be, do i need to treat her wounds, and what do I use? Do I need to keep her away from the other chickens?
This is so overwhelming! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

option 1 would be to separate her from the others, if she is weak they might do more damage. treat her injuries and try to get her back to normal

option 2 would be just put her down

Just happened to me also. Our dog has been raised as a pup around chickens and ducks and thinks he's one of them. Got a little to playful and injured one of our girl's neck. I thought she was a gonner. We applied Vetericyn (bought at TSC), soaked cloth bandage and wrapped around neck overnight. Separated her from flock overnight and she made it through night. Ranged them all today. She went into the coop and laid her egg, then joined theother! What a trooper. Can't see blood so she's socializing with her flock. Only time will tell if she can make it. Preened herself to hide the wound. Bandage came off.

Well, she's still alive and this happened on monday morning. I didn't end up treating the wounds because i didn't get a reply that day and i was totally clueless. I figured she would be dead by morning but she's still hanging in there. She's drinking and eating, although she keeps her wings tight to her body and is not moving around as much as before. The other chickens seem to bully her a bit more but mostly they leave her alone. I really don't know what will happen, and at this point i suppose time will tell. I just feel so bad that i didn't treat her right away now. If she developed an infection i am guessing that is what will do her in.

Just going to keep her separate. Some of the others know she's hurt and peck near the wound. I think if she survives the weekend, we'll be OK. Eating and drinking.

Back
Top Bottom