help dog attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
um...stop accusing me of such things. I agree it's better to have the dog humanely euthanized, people should be realistic and not think they can pawn their dog or cat off on the shelter to and them receive medical care.

What's your problem?

My problem is you quoting my post just to change my wording so that you can imply all shelters will just kill dogs instead of treating them and that I must support this practice.

My problem is you quoting my post just to change my wording so that you can imply all shelters will just kill dogs instead of treating them and that I must support this practice.
that is exactly what happens when people take them to the shelter and they are injured. Don't expect a dog or cat to be fixed up by a shelter/pound, they will euthanize them. Similar to a breeder of chickens or rabbits or whatever other livestock, if you return an animal to them, don't expect it to survive long.

that is exactly what happens when people take them to the shelter and they are injured. Don't expect a dog or cat to be fixed up by a shelter/pound, they will euthanize them. Similar to a breeder of chickens or rabbits or whatever other livestock, if you return an animal to them, don't expect it to survive long.

This is not true at all. Many shelters I've worked with take in injured animals and foster them out while they heal until they can be adopted. In fact, one shelter actually took injured or animals that needed vet care from a high kill shelter so they could treat them.

It is not an option I advise doing unless it is a last resort, but not every shelter euthanizes every animal that comes through the door.

ETA: I'm not sure what kind of breeders you have dealt with. I knew of many rabbit breeders that placed returned animals with 4-Hers. Same goes for livestock. I've taken back many chickens over the years and never once killed them. I usually rehomed them or just kept them.

Last edited:
This is not true at all. Many shelters I've worked with take in injured animals and foster them out while they heal until they can be adopted. In fact, one shelter actually took injured or animals that needed vet care from a high kill shelter so they could treat them.

It is not an option I advise doing unless it is a last resort, but not every shelter euthanizes every animal that comes through the door.

ETA: I'm not sure what kind of breeders you have dealt with. I knew of many rabbit breeders that placed returned animals with 4-Hers. Same goes for livestock. I've taken back many chickens over the years and never once killed them. I usually rehomed them or just kept them.
in areas where people have their animals altered, there is often a shortage of available animals for adoption, so it would be in their better interest to fix up animals that come in as opposed to having them shipped in from elsewhere.

There are rescues and shelters all over the country that take in injured animals, give them the care they need, and adopt them out. There are some here in my town, in fact.

You seem to have some pretty heavy biases. Not every shelter or breeder is the devil. Most actually care about animals.

That's actually what rescues do, take in animals with problems (health or behavioral) and rehabilitate them for adoption. "The pound" is simply unable to financially repair animals.

I never said breeders were the devil. There you go putting words in my mouth again. For simple biosecurity reasons, one should not expect a breeder to keep any returned animal alive.

And yes, I do have some pretty heavy biases. I work in dog rescue. I'm well aware, first hand, of what happens to unwanted animals. I have sometimes hundreds of dogs And cats come across my desk every day in danger of euthanasia in any number of shelters in any number of states. We are people desperate to save these animals from this fate, but there are too many unwanted animals (due to irresponsible owners be it by not having their pets altered, neglecting the animal of basic necessities such as food, water and shelter or someone who refuses to learn how to properly communicate to their animal exactly what is expected of them without sending the wrong message, in turn exacerbating the behavioral problems) and not enough people out there who are willing to learn to do it right and then actually follow through.

Have you been involved in animal rescue, or are you postulating on what you think you know?

Last edited:
That's actually what rescues do, take in animals with problems (health or behavioral) and rehabilitate them for adoption. "The pound" is simply unable to financially repair animals.

I never said breeders were the devil. There you go putting words in my mouth again. For simple biosecurity reasons, one should not expect a breeder to keep any returned animal alive.

And yes, I do have some pretty heavy biases. I work in dog rescue. I'm well aware, first hand, of what happens to unwanted animals. I have sometimes hundreds of dogs And cats come across my desk every day in danger of euthanasia in any number of shelters in any number of states. We are people desperate to save these animals from this fate, but there are too many unwanted animals (due to irresponsible owners be it by not having their pets altered, neglecting the animal of basic necessities such as food, water and shelter or someone who refuses to learn how to properly communicate to their animal exactly what is expected of them without sending the wrong message, in turn exacerbating the behavioral problems) and not enough people out there who are willing to learn to do it right and then actually follow through.

Have you been involved in animal rescue, or are you postulating on what you think you know?

I've been working with dogs professionally for over 10 years. Boarding and grooming, mostly grooming. I have multiple friends who work in or run their own rescues. The kennel I worked at used to board overflow dogs occasionally for the local shelter. I also worked part time at a pet supply store for many years in addition to grooming and we worked very closely with a number of local rescues donating food, money, toys, bedding, etc. I have fostered a few animals as well, although that didn't really work out- I kept everything I ever fostered. I have seen and indirectly been involved in many situations where injured dogs are brought to a rescue or shelter here and received medical care. One was a Pit Bull who had been dragged behind a truck.

So how about you step down off that high horse you're on?

I also think it's fairly ridiculous you equate unaltered animals with irresponsible ownership. More and more people choose not to alter until growth is done or never at all due to health reasons. Not altering an animal does not mean that animal will produce offspring. Containment- oh, I'm sorry, imprisonment- is all it takes.

I just saw this and haven't read through all the post yet so forgive me if this has already been said. Tsc and other farm stores carry antibiotics and syringes/needles. Have your friend go on line and look up the best of the available antibiotics to use and the suggested dosage. If they haven't already, clean the wound and apply a topical antibiotic. Its great if you can afford several hundred dollars for a vet, but if not, there are usually other treatment options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom