Help! Dog Mauled Chicken! Badly Wounded

Yes, the one flap on right side is shrinking in size. It was much larger. The large slice on bottom that’s about 1/2” deep still hasn’t healed much and does like to accumulate the fluids from meds and wounds weeps, but I keep spraying it and trying to wipe it with neosporin. The top part looks gross, but it looks like it’s healing. It’s mostly crusted over, which kinda makes it harder to keep clean, especially feathers and other crap that want to stick to it.
I can give you an idea for the lower flap that may help it heal together. It would require breaking some of the crust though.

If you have some medical self adhesive wrap, you can wrap the flap so it's pushing on the other open area to get it to heal to that. But first step is to break the crust before doing so. If it bleeds alittle, that's okay, the healing together will work better.

The wrap must be snug, but not squeezing. Do not cover the entire area, just use the wrap to put pressure on the flap.

I can give you an idea for the lower flap that may help it heal together. It would require breaking some of the crust though.

If you have some medical self adhesive wrap, you can wrap the flap so it's pushing on the other open area to get it to heal to that. But first step is to break the crust before doing so. If it bleeds alittle, that's okay, the healing together will work better.

The wrap must be snug, but not squeezing. Do not cover the entire area, just use the wrap to put pressure on the flap.
I don’t know how I can wrap it without wrapping whole thing or wrapping it around her butt side… which I need to clean soon as she got some poop on her (either from feathers in the way or she sat in it).

I don’t know how I can wrap it without wrapping whole thing or wrapping it around her butt side… which I need to clean soon as she got some poop on her (either from feathers in the way or she sat in it).
Maybe making an X may work.

Go under the flap, cross over, go under the other way, tighten, & connect. Use a second layer if needed.

Ok. That makes sense to me. I’ll keep an eye on it. Hopefully I don’t have to drain it, because I’d hate to hurt her more.

We did let her out supervised yesterday with her flock, which seemed to make her happy. She hobbled to see her friends and our oldest (retired alpha) walked her slowly back to the flock. The new alpha hen closely inspected her wound, and made me nervous she was going to peck it, so I had to shoo her away. But she seemed like a normal hen again. I just hope she didn’t over exert herself with all the walking and hobbling.
If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on it and give it time. The wound looks to be healing o.k.
If it's an abscess, then it may open on its own and drain, often these things have a way of working their own self out.

It's good that she was able get outside for a little while and see her flock. Moving about is good for her.

If it were me, I'd just keep an eye on it and give it time. The wound looks to be healing o.k.
If it's an abscess, then it may open on its own and drain, often these things have a way of working their own self out.

It's good that she was able get outside for a little while and see her flock. Moving about is good for her.
So far, the bulge hasn’t changed. It’s got more darker like a bruise, but I think it’s just the bruising from above moving down (I’ve seen a nasty black eye move to someone’s chin over time). Her wound looks like it’s healing nice. The skin around the wound looks nice and clean white. She’s been enjoying stretching her wings and cleaning.

I’ve been letting her out for a little everyday, especially while cleaning out the kennel, so she an stretch her legs. Today, I let her out with the flock, which this time, they ignoring her and her wound. She mostly hanging out with our old retired alpha hen (buff Orpington) and our dark Brahma.

image.jpg

C9210D1D-5110-491B-8C81-2F8FBB144F3C.jpeg

Any suggestions on how to clean the poop on her butt feathers?

So we took her on a trip this weekend, since we were expecting bad weather, and didn’t trust her and her wound while we gone, but when we got back Sunday, I put her in the enclosure to start joining the flock again full time.

Her wound is looking so much better. I stopped antibiotics Friday. She has brand new feather shafts about 1/2 long already, some of which have pushed one part of her scab off, which I think is very itchy as she helped pull that part of scab off, thankfully without pulling the attached healing scab. I’ve been trying to spray the scab to keep it moist and help reduce itch and promote healing. I’ll keep and eye on her to make sure no issues with the flock, but I think she nearing finish line for healing!

Thank you for all your help and advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom