Help!!!! Dog problem...

maybe the dog is just clearing your property of varmints!?!?

i think a lot of folks would love to have a dog that hunted down all the possum, coons, and frankly yes bunnies (they decimated my garden and killed some very expensive trees).

huskies are really primal and the dog is just doing what it should be doing ....just make sure he stays on your property. after all the groundhogs are gone he might go looking for something else. is isnt doing it on purpose? people come on.. dogs are predators! thats where they are on the food chain. when our dogs bring me a ground hog i refrain from the ickyicky dance and say 'good work.'

put him down? he should get a medal... send him over here - we have some raccoons that he can clear.

teach your dog "thats mine" or "leave it" and fence fence fence. walk him around the property line every day (yes ever single day) and have him mark everything so he knows where and what to guard. and never ever leave him unattended with your poultry.

good luck!

Last edited:
Huskys are such beautiful dogs but busy busy busy. If you don't find a job for them they will make up their own and sometimes get themselves into trouble.
I remember being at my vets office years ago and overhearing a husky owner telling the vet how his husky removed the gutters from his house while he was away at work. The dog was fenced outside during the day and went from digging holes to gutter removal.
roll.png
The vet suggested long walks before and after work for the dog.
Maybe walking him around your property and scolding him when an animal jumps out and he starts to go after it will help. I dunno. I wonder if getting him another dog for a playmate would help? A breed that is more lazy and laid back but young enough to want to wrestle and play with your dog?
Just make sure he is current on his rabies shot. Good Luck with him!

I honestly don't see the problem. He should be in a fenced yard so that he doesn't get into too much trouble, so if he isn't already that's something to rectify. Perhaps give him a portion of the acreage for 'his' yard if it's a possibility, and exercise him under supervision on the rest of the property if there's no perimeter fence. Wild animals learn pretty quickly where they are safe and where they are not. We have an ancient wild bunny that knows exactly where our dogs can get to him and where they can't. He's been here for the two years that we've lived here, and for several years previously with my FIL.

If someone's cat wanders into that area, i'd say it's too bad. It is not nice to see a family pet attack another animal, but it's not your responsibility to protect their cat from your dog on your property. If they cared for its wellbeing they would keep it home. It irks me that cats are given a free pass by some owners to go wherever they like. If I want a cat on my property, i'll get my own! Some people prefer not to have dogs, and I don't let my dogs impose on them.

He's just being a dog, a Husky in particular. It sounds like he's having a ball with all that space.

I've never met a Husky that respected a property line, they have a high prey drive and it seems that when that kicks in all training goes out the window.

Shock collars are only cruel when used incorrectly. I train a couple of my dogs for search and rescue, so they spend a lot of time off leash working in unfamiliar areas. I love my dogs dearly, and if it's the choice between a brief pain or chasing a rabbit and possibly being hit by a car, i'm choosing the shock collar every time. The same goes for snake-proofing, a rattlesnake bite is far more painful than a shock.

Quote:
you can actually get in trouble for that.

This is getting off the subject but....in most cases you can get in trouble if your dog kills someones cat, even if it's on your property. (Same as if your dog was to run nextdoor and kill your neigboor's dog--you would be in trouble even though it didn't happen on your property).

There are very few cities/counties that have cat "leash/confienment" laws or consider cats as "pests" so cats are allowed to roam free. Not the best situation in my opinion, but it is what it is.

I honestly can't see having a dog for 12 years then getting rid of it just because of his instincts kicking in............
That is just so wrong
Keep him on a leash, he honestly doesn't have that much longer to go before it's time for the Rainbow Bridge, don't you owe him that much, considering all he's given you in 12 years???
I'm sorry,I just think you own a dog for his entire life, and it comes with the good and bad

Back
Top Bottom