Help! Dog Rescue and Psycho perspective owners!

Make a copy of the contract and highlight the information where you can take the pup back and wright a letter stating due to the phone calls and lack of contact on such and such days you are enforcing that part of your contract. Send it certified and also state that if the pup is not returned you will press charges and or take them to court. Also state that if any injuries are present or the dog is sick due to being poorly treated they are responsible for all vet bills. (May need added to any future contracts)

Also call the police back because he is your "property" till he is signed over free and clear and see what they are willing to do.

Here's an interesting nugget! Budget cuts.

The police in this city are dealing with all petty crimes (less than $300) by mail.
So a foster dog with an $120 adoption fee, is a petty property event and will not receive a police response.
Although the desk officer did tip his hat, (dog lover,) that if I go over there, it will be a disturbance, and I can then get a police response to look at my contract.

After the late night phone call, i was never a matter of whether I should let them keep the dog, just what was the most reasonable way to get him back.
Apparently reason does not factor into this equation for some people!

IF you go there, take someone with you!!! Since these people sound a little flaky, try honey rather than vinegar with another phone call first (especially since it's not close by). Sound very sweet and sincere, telling them you just want to check on how the dog is doing, since they sounded so troubled earlier.

I'm convinced most people out there are just wacky, that is everyone but the folks on BYC forum. So sorry you and the puppy are dealing with this. Maybe they will decide again the pup is not right for them, and turn it back over to you without a fight.

You have to remember that people very, very rarely give the real reason for why they want to do something.

They give the reason they think you will accept, and not give them a rash of you know what.

So they had some problems with the dog, and someone bawled them out and told them to get themselves together and take care of it, gave them a few pointers, and now they want to keep it.

Maybe it will be ok, and maybe it will not. No one can really say.

Some people are very emotional and make a snap decision, regret it, and then change their mind.

Some people you kind of see them going through their thinking process. Some people hide it.

It isn't necessarily bad that you can see their thinking process. You have to realize that everyone changes their mind and waffles on things. Some people you see that, some you don't.

Last edited:
I tell you what, if someone hung up on me like that after I politely asked them to bring back my dog, my butt would of been in the car and on my way there. You DONT hang up on me. My Mom did that one night and I drove over there and had it out with her. When I got to thier driveway, I would call the cops and tell them, you need to get over here because if you dont, someones getting hurt. That would bring them quick. Sounds to me like they dont know how to take care of a dog or thought it would be cute to get a puppy. Puppies are just like babies, you have to teach them what to do and have just as much patience if not more. Hope you get the dog back and its ok.

Rammy

Thank all of you for the support and ideas!

The whole conversation was polite. But it was like talking to a wall. "I do not feel comfortable with the situation. The puppy needs to be returned." To which he kept responding with "this needs further discussion." When I said that we needed to meet arrange a time to return the puppy, that's when he hung up.

I didn't realize I was shaking until after I hung up my end.

I know his wife gets off work at 3pm. I have decided to wait and see if she will be reasonable on the phone and agree to return the dog.
If that fails, I will have to get a Rescue buddy to make the trip with me.

Chickbea & Lifesong Farm - Thank you both for the suggestions. I have my copied, highlighted contract in hand.
Fingers crossed I don't end up having to go this route!

I'll update you, if there is any progress/resolution!

You will need to get a lawyer to handle this even though you have a signed contract. Police officers don't usually get into the middle of "civil" situations.

Back
Top Bottom