Help! Dog Rescue and Psycho perspective owners!

Diamond Wire Farms

Songster
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Placerville, CA
Okay, so there are always good suggestions for chicken fiascos, so let's see how y'all do with dog chaos!

I have had a rescue dog for about a month. He is a SWEET, SWEET puppy.
Some people contacted me about adopting him and we decided to do an overnight trial at their place.

Day 1: They LOVE the dog. Everything is PERFECT.
Day 2: Hmmm. Few issues. Nothing major.
Day 3: After 8pm I get a call: "We have decided that we are not ready for a dog." The wife told me she feels "disappointed and defeated" by the dog.
"Can we return him tomorrow?" Of course, and we arrange a time and place.

But this morning I get a call saying that "the dog is coming around" and "seems to be getting it." Which is odd because the issues for returning the dog, had nothing to do with the dog's behavior. I told them that I no longer felt comfortable with the situation and the puppy needed to be returned. The man HUNG UP on me.

I have the guys address and all his phone numbers, which he is now not answering.

What do I do????

I feel like driving over there and bringing the dog home even if it is necessary to become a fence-ninja!

If something seems odd it usually is. I'd go get the puppy back
smile.png

I'm hoping that you have all your potential adopters sign some sort of adoption agreement that clearly states that you will reclaim the dog if you are not happy with the placement. If you have this document in hand, the police can help you reclaim your "property".
If you don't have an adoption agreement, then I'm afraid you are in a legal quandry, the outcome of which may vary depending upon your local regulations and the competence/interest of the local authorities.
Good luck!

They did sign an agreement. And I made a quick call to the business line of the police station. They said that they had never encountered this before and would have to get back to me. That was 6 hours ago....

I say you really ought to try and get the dog back, especially if they're going to change their minds about him on a whim like that. Doesn't seem like a very stable household for the poor pup to live in. "Disappointed and defeated"...what?
th.gif
People can be so downright strange sometimes! I hope you get the pup back safely and without trouble, or at least have a long conversation with the couple about it before they truly choose to adopt the dog. I'm assuming you know where they live? I think perhaps you should go over there and knock on the door if your phone calls continue without an answer.

Reminds me to be careful about placing my foster puppy in a home! Good luck, I hope things work out well.
fl.gif

I'd give the cops a bit of a kick in the patoot (but be sweet, as you want them on your side!
big_smile.png
).
If you have an agreement, then the dog is still your property. It's a standard contract that the cops need to enforce. Even though you and I view the dog as a living creature and not "property", in the eyes of the law this is a simple property theft, and the cops need to show up and assist you in getting the dog back.

I know where they live. I have been to their house! These people are very well-off too. I'm going over there. But they live 2.5 hours away, so I need to make sure I am fully prepared before I leave. Honestly, I would not be surprised if they had a lawyer at the house when I got there.

Yes, be very, very careful. 10 years of rescue and never any problems. Honestly, they seemed like really nice people. Then BLAM!

"Disappointed and defeated." I know, and then they think I'm going to let them keep the dog?!?!?

I participated in Greyhound rescue some years ago and hated more than anything when I had to say no to a potential adoptor, but you have to go with your gut.

I know some people say some adoption groups go too far. You are not going to far, you are doing the right thing. Do it legal, but get the puppy back.

Protect yourself though. Some of these people are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Its obvious that these people weren't ready for a dog or dillusional about what a puppy is all about. Its sad and the dog should be removed unless you can go and get to the bottom of this and educate them. Either way good luck. I have done rescue and also have lots of clients that were this way. Its so irritating.

Back
Top Bottom