Help!!! Dont know anything about hatching duck eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RooptyDoo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I have a friend that wants me to hatch some duck eggs. I really need some advice. How long is the incubation period? What should the humidity be? Temp? How many times do I need to turn them? I've hatched chicken eggs lots of times but I didnt know if there was a big difference between the two. Any advice will help!!!! Thanks alot! RooptyDoo

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    There are many opinions on the incubation temp and humidity, but the way I do it is 100 degrees and 70% humidity days 1-25, and 99 degrees and 85% humidity days 25-28.

All 'mallard derived' breeds take 28 days to hatch. Muscovy take 35. Calls can take from 23-26 days.

Many people have hatched duck and chickens together with no problems at all.

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I am in the middle of incubating duck and chicken eggs together. My temp in a still air LG runs between 99-101.9 and humidity is been from 45-50. I have however sprayed some water on the duck eggs. So I am doing a bit of a dry hatch on the duck eggs. I made a homemade hatcher for hatching the chicken eggs seperate though. So far so good!! I am on day 12

4. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 35 days for a scovy!!!!!!!!! i thought it took only 28!!!!
    OMG! if i didn't c this thread i would have shut the bator down on day 31 not knowing it wasn't time!!!!!!!!!!!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    See, Isn't this a great place. You learn something new everyday. [​IMG]

6. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm doing mine this way to its day 20 and everything looks good- only thing is I don't have a separate hatcher [​IMG]

7. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    Quote:u got that right! this is also my first time hatching a duck (w/ chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by