Help! Don't know what this is!

kendrat

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
I have a small flock of Turkeys that were exposed to fowl pox. No big deal, most have all scabbed over. However, I now have a turkey who seems lethargic, extremely thin, depressed and yellow fecal matter, that looks almost like yoke. Began laying down and won't get up. Have isolated him, but don't know what this is or how to treat. Any idea? Is this part of the fowl pox? I also have ducks and chickens. All roam property daily, should I be keeping them in their pens? Any help would be appreciated!

Lethargic and yellow diarrhea is blackhead. Metronidazole is the only known cure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Is the Metronidazole something that I can get at a feed store, or do I need to get my vet to order it. How long once these symptoms start before I begin treatment do I have? I don't know that this is something my regular vet will have.

Any vet will have it but I have never been able to get them to give it to me. I ordered fish zole from Meyer hatchery. It is the same thing. For now you need to quarantine the sick birds and mix vitamins and electrolytes in the water and cayenne pepper. Also mix cayenne pepper in the feed.
I also fed scrambled egg with cayenne and Greek yogurt while mine was in quarantine. I did have to tube feed her for five days three times a day to keep her alive and get the medication in her but she is fine and back with her flock now.

You can email me if you like.
[email protected]
Good luck.

How do I determine the amount of Fish Zole per gallon. I purchased 250mg powder packages and how long do I treat?

Fish zole only comes in pill form. I have never heard of powder. You give one tablet per ten pounds of body weight for five days.

Is the Metronidazole something that I can get at a feed store, or do I need to get my vet to order it.  How long once these symptoms start before I begin treatment do I have?  I don't know that this is something my regular vet will have.  

I've never seen it at a feed store.

Your vet can sell you some or write you a prescription for Flagyl that you could get filled at any human pharmacy.

It's used in cats and dogs, so your vet should have it.

You're also going to need Fenbendazole, aka Safegaurd or Panacur. Most feed stores carry this in liquid form for goats. Per my avian vets, I give .5cc per kg og body weight.

The sooner you start treatment, the better.

Talk to your vet!

-Kathy
Gilroy, CA

While blackhead make make birds lethargic and have yellow running feces, a bird that is lethargic with yellow runny feces does not necessarily have blackhead. Last summer I had several birds become lethargic, with hanging wings and yellow stools. I isolated the sick birds (only one at a time got sick), and waited. After three or four days, things picked up and they got better.

I'm not saying you do or do not have blackhead, but I am recommending you don't jump to conclusions. See if an isolated bird gets better without treatment before going heavy into the medecines. Especially if you want to eat the birds later. It might just be a simple virus that will go away on its own. There are lots of diseases out there, and most of them are not fatal.

If there is other evidence of blackhead, by all means treat away.

Good luck with your flock!

Back
Top Bottom