Help! Drained fluid from my chicken... but she won't stop dripping... has lost >125cc is that okay

amyduck

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Oakland, California
I have a very sweet Delaware hen... She has been accumulating fluid in her abdomen - I imagine it might be egg yolk peritonitis but that's just a guess. She first went to the Vet in Mid June and he drained a huge vial from her and have her a shot of antibiotics and I gave her a 10 day course of antibiotics. We did the same again in mid July (although I think they removed less from her this last time.)

She has been doing pretty well, a good appetite etc but of course, she continued to accumulate fluid and her abdomen started to look too stretched. So I removed some for the first time on Thursday - but I only got 30 cc out of her because I had a narrow gauge needle and she moved, so we did it again today with a larger needle and got 60 cc.

Here's the problem, she is continuing to drip a lot... we did it about an hour before roosting and I put a dish under her and it collected another 90+ cc (I spilled a little and she also dripped for that first hour - so she has lost a lot of fluid)

Should I try to stop it? Or is it a good thing? I'm worried about when she starts to walk around in the morning that she could get dirt or dust in it if she hasn't stopped dripping. Of course, as I write this I realize I can separate her and put her in a crate by herself so that doesn't happen... but I still don't know if I should stop the dripping.

I was thinking some of the liquid bandage might do the trick. I'm worried she'll lose too much fluid. If not the liquid bandage, then how? Super glue? Something else? I'm still going to be up for a while, so if someone sees this soon and can answer I could go outside and do it while she's on the perch.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what gauge needle did you use? Most that I have read about use an 18 gauge needle, but if there was a lot of fluid build up the pressure may have prevented the puncture site from closing. Most puncture sites will close off with a little pressure for a minute or two, but I have never drained an abdomen with ascites. When removing excess fluid anywhere in the body, I think it is a good idea to use some electrolytes in their water to replace those going out in the fluid.

Thanks Margaret, I'd finally gone to sleep so she spent the night in the coop but I've isolated her on my deck where it's cleaner and to keep her away from the dust baths for now... she was still dripping a bit this morning and lost at least another cup over night.

I'm just wondering what gauge needle did you use? Most that I have read about use an 18 gauge needle, but if there was a lot of fluid build up the pressure may have prevented the puncture site from closing. Most puncture sites will close off with a little pressure for a minute or two, but I have never drained an abdomen with ascites. When removing excess fluid anywhere in the body, I think it is a good idea to use some electrolytes in their water to replace those going out in the fluid.

I used an 18 this time since last time it was a 20 which just took too long. It's slowed down but still draining and she is trying to preen the wet feathers. And yes, I've added some vitamins and electrolytes to her water. If she continues to drip I might try super glue.

My hen, Loudy, really wanted off the deck so I let my other two chickens join her (I always keep them off the deck!) She finally stopped dripping around noon and we let them back into the garden around 1pm. So now I'm trying to decide whether or not to shoot her up with penicillin... I know I'll probably lose her this month or next, but I am hoping to keep her as comfortable as possible until then.

I did a drain on mother hen over a month ago and she is eating and drinking fine. Still in charge although she is still leaking and is skin and bone. Have applied Vaseline thickly over puncture site to see if this stops the draining. Don't think she will survive but she doesn't know that and is quite happy.

I did a drain on mother hen over a month ago and she is eating and drinking fine. Still in charge although she is still leaking and is skin and bone. Have applied Vaseline thickly over puncture site to see if this stops the draining. Don't think she will survive but she doesn't know that and is quite happy.

I had exactly the same thing last year at start of September with mother hen. She was still leaking after a week so I rubbed Vaseline into puncture site. She stopped leaking, gained weight and is still going. Although lately I've noticed she isn't eating as well. Will check later to check she doesn't need a belly tap again.

Hi everyone. I have an RR that is waddling like a penguin, Some days worse and leaning to one side laying down and pushing. She is eating fine. I checked her vent and no egg. Her bottom area is red and blown up like a balloon. I started her on and antibiotic and then drew off with a surgical needle and greenish clear fluid came out. When I withdrew the needle @ 50 cc's, she continued to drip and squirt out this green water for the night, I didn't measure it but it was pretty extensive. This morning she was alive, thank goodness. She is definitely happier and not waddling at all. Her bottom is red but deflated. She's eating well and is clucking. The thing is I wanted to know what this green fluid is? I got some on my leg and sort of freaked out. lol
Is there still a chance she will die? I will continue with the antibiotic for a week.
Thank you for any response.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom