Help! Drained fluid from my chicken... but she won't stop dripping... has lost >125cc is that okay

Ascites is a fatal condition eventually and unfortunately. It means there is liver failure from a heart or liver problem, but is also very common in egg yolk peritonitis. I would make sure that she is getting some form of electrolytes in her water, such as SaveAChick, undiluted pedialyte or Gatorade, or a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDremch or Poultry Cell. She has lost electrolytes in her abdominal fluid. Most times when people drain bellies with ascites, they get a deep amber-colored fluid. I'm not sure why you are seeing green fluid, unless it is super dark or there is bile coloring it. I have not done that before, but you may want to look for posts by Speckledhen or Casportpony who are familiar. Here are some links to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853726/ascites-in-desperate-need-of-some-help-and-guidance
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1119656/drained-ascites-fluid-and-now-in-respiratory-distress/10

Thank you! I will give her some electrolytes in her water, I have been giving her oregano water to help as antibacterials. The other chickens are ok. The fluid wasn't amber or dark green, just lime green. I wondered if it was bile. She is looking much better at this moment.

I too drained hen last year. It was brown clear water that came out. She continued to drip for days. I smothered the injection site and all around with vaseline. She stopped dripping and went on to live another 8 months,never laid again tho. I think especially with hybrids, their organs start to give up at about 3 years due to them being bred for fast high egg yield. I now only have pure breeds.

hi all,
so my chicken (helen) is just sicker than before. I have drained her again, around her eyes are pale instead of red. she is acting like she wants to be alone. although she does eat and drink she just is acting weak. I have given her a long epson bath, and cleaned her back area. her vent is clear and I did lube it. I can feel a large lump up under her left side. I think it is an egg but not sure. she is having trouble laying down but eventually leaned to the side and fell asleep. her stomach is gurgling a lot, so i gave her yogurt and oats, which she ate a good amount. her stools are clear to white with not much substance. the worst is also that she has lost so much weight. she feels like about a 1 lb now and the bone are so sticking out. she coo when i come into see her.. it's so sad. i took her into the hos=use to keep her warm in a large dog kennel, i put a box in there with hay and she did go in it fine.
does anyone know whats wrong with her and if she will make it? is there anything else i can do for her?

help, so sad

thank you!

Hi there,
Yes, it's very sad.... we get so attached to our girls and try to help them as much as we can, but it is sometimes out of our hands. My chicken, Loudy, who this post was originally about, died about 8-9 months after we first noticed she wasn't feeling well.

So we somehow managed to keep her pretty comfortable for a while by draining her fluid, but after a while I didn't really want to drain her anymore and decided to just make her as comfortable as we could, inside my house, and away from the other girls to reduce any stress and the last night, She was still with us in the morning! but I had a feeling she was about to die, so I carried her out to the garden and walked her around to see the flowers. She put her head up when we passed the bouganvilla and then I sat down on a bench with her on my lap and then in a minute or two she was gone. She was a favorte chicken and we still mis her.

Here is some of her story which I posted before she died:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ctures-can-anyone-help-shed-any-light-on-this The last post there was 2/21/16 and I think she died about a week later. I fed-exed her to UC Davis vet school for an autopsy, and in her case, she had ovarian cancer...

Good luck!

Last edited:
aww that is so sad. :( this morning i got up and she wasn't moving. i checked her and there was a lot of fluid that had run out of her, probably urine through the night. she is alive but barely. I tried to get her to stand up and she was too weak. i put her back in her box to keep her warm. she is breathing normally not labored at all. i get the sense that she will die today probably this morning. at least she knows that she is loved. this poor chick has been through a lot and lived. a dog got her when she was a year old and bit her in the neck and degloved it. i sewed it back up and treated her with an iodine wash every day and within a week it looked healed...weird how fast they heal. and she was great except some nerve damage to her waddle but other than that she was the pack leader! its sad but i know when i get home from work that she will have died. :.....(((((((
thank you for helping sorry to hear of your chicken loss.

It's all just so upsetting and because of this, I am considering not adding any more to my flock of 6 ( originally12). They only live generally a short time, especially hybrids. The last ones are pure breeds which I hatched with a broody hopefully they will live longer. I've gone to bed many times crying over a chicken.

Poor girl! She sounds like a real trooper! But from what you wrote, it sounds like she probably didn't make it... if so, I'm so sorry.
And yeah, I know about crying over our girls...some in particular I remember years later. They are all different and such lovely, interesting creatures.
I have less chickens now - from 7, I'm down to 3 girls, with two of them rescue chickens found walking around the neighborhood ... at least I know they have a much better and much safer life than before! But more than anything it's because I feel I need more time to take care of them...
Take care!

hi, this morning she was to weak to stand up. she just wanted to sleep, but her breathing was fine, which was weird. but we made the decision to put her down because she was just suffering.
it is sad, but she had a great life and we loved her.

thank you

Back
Top Bottom