Help! Duck bleeding from wing

BunnyBelle

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 9, 2009
I don't have any pictures so I'm putting a link to a thread that has pictures which kind of look like my problem. My pekin girl, Daisy, is bleeding from her wing, she is about 4 months old. I pulled the feathers apart and it looks like it's coming from where a feather used to be but it broken off. I don't know how to explain it band I have nobody here to help me take a picture. It's not like the feather was completely pulled out of the skin because the thing that holds the feather is still there and that is bleeding, alot! I must sound so stupid! Anyway, should I seperate her from my other 2 girls? They don't seem to be bothering her right now and when any of them are seperated they all freak. They were all quaking their little heads off when I took her out of the pen to look at her more closely. What should I do about the bleeding? My vet is off today and I don't know of any others around that see ducks.

The pictures in this link kind of look like the same problem but she is bleeding a little more. I drained their pool water and put fresh in to let her clean up a little and then drained it again since the water was not allowing her to clot.

Here is the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=248247

Last edited:
If you don't have any supplies, try putting flour on the bleeding shaft.
You could also take a rag and apply a little pressure to help it stop.
The other ducks may peck if they see blood, so try to clean her up a bit after you stop the bleeding. Don't worry about taking her away from the others temporarily, they'll get over it.......

Forgot to add you could put something over her head to keep her calm (make sure she can breathe, though) or fold her up in a towel with just the one wing out so she can't thrash around......

Last edited:
That sounds like a broken blood feather. Unfortunately, birds can die from a broken blood feather if they lose enough blood. If it were me, I would remove what is left of the feather with a pair of tweezers pulling it as close to the skin as possible so that none of the quill is left. If you have never done that before, taking her to a vet might be your best choice. The bleeding can still continue sometimes even after the feather has been removed. You can try to stop the bleeding by applying pressure (whether you remove the feather or not) or by using any type of "kwik stop" type powders (you can usually buy them at pet stores).

Ack!! I do have the kwik stop. My husband is on his way home and will be here by 5 so one of us can hold her and the other can work on her. The bleeding looks like it has stopped though at this point. I think the swimming water was making it worse. If the bleeding has stopped should I still pull out the quill? Or should I leave it alone and see what happens? I just called a few vets and nobody sees ducks!! It's very frustrating. They kept recommending my vet who I found out is not going to be in until Wednesday! I will keep trying others though.

It seems as though the bleeding has stopped. Should I still pull the quill? I did find a vet that can see her but not until tomorrow (the vet wasn't in but the receptionsit set up and appt). I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. I don't want to go out and find out that she died in the night because of bleeding. On the other hand, I want to make sure this is done right too. Gee, can you tell I'm a new duck mom?

I don't know- it is a judgement call. If it has stopped bleeding, I would almost just leave well enough alone and let the vet do it when you can get her in. It's impossible to say for sure what the best route is. It may or may not start bleeding again either way.

A veterinarian shouldn't have to be involved with a broken bloodfeather. Save your money. CityChicker explained what you should do.

What I would do is pull the remaining feather out with needlenose pliers and then squeeze the cavity shut for a few minutes with my fingers to stop the bleeding. If you don't, the broken quill could act like a straw.

thank you all for your help. I have a question about pulling the quill. I already pulled it but I don't know if I did it correctly or not. It was really short and bloody. On one end there was what looked like a tiny feather sticking out. On the end I pulled from the skin there was what looked like an artery or blood vessel kind of dangling from the end.. It was really gross. She did bleed for a few more minutes but I put on some cornstarch and it seems to have stopped. Does this sound right or is part of the quill left in her??

HELP !
I had went outside to check on my ducks and one of my ducks had blood on her and I looked and it was her wing on the outside of it where bone I think is ?
I cleaned her up n put flour on it and it stopped for little bit I put her back out side and she goes to the water drinking and I think it's bleeding g again help ???
I know vet but don't have the money to take her any home things to do ?

Back
Top Bottom