Help duck falling down

Wherethechickensat

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2017
Harlem, GA
this has been an on and off issue. Only two of my ducks are doing this both are Swedish ducks. One du k has gotten better for awhile now and the current duck does it a couple days then good for two weeks then off again. They are about 30 weeks feed Purina later with added brewers yeast, greens, kelp and flax. They live in a 20x40 foot run that is cleaned weekly. Have gone to the vet multiple times and they can’t figure it out. Sure that it is not seizures and isn’t any forgiven body or metal in the body. She stands still stretches her neck out, legs shake and her wings go out to hold her body up. She uses the wings to help her get to me and she lays in my lap.
I am I the process of trying to upload a video but not having any luck

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo or Facebook or something else and linked here.

Hopefully we can help.

When they fall can they get up again? Do they fall onto their backs? Do they sort of sit back on their elbows? How often does it happen? Are they good at swimming?

Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo or Facebook or something else and linked here.

Hopefully we can help.

When they fall can they get up again? Do they fall onto their backs? Do they sort of sit back on their elbows? How often does it happen? Are they good at swimming?

They do get back up after a few minutes. They tend to stretch up, the tail goes down, the legs shake and they wings come out to brace them. They will try to stay braced with their wings and will eventually lay down. this has happened about 4 times once it started. As we speak I now have a third one doing similar just not putting her wings out she just goes to laying down. They get up after and drink water. I'm just torn and I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I know I'm doing a lot right. I don't like seeing my girls like this and already have racked up 1000 in vet bills.

I would use some vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet per duck crushed into a treat daily for a couple of weeks. Perhaps the brewers yeast is not supplying the B vitamins needed. Hopefully more experienced duck people will chime in. Would Flock Raiser with some crushed oyster shell on the side be a little better with extra protein? Check your feed date to make sure it is fresh and the vitamins are not depleted.

Fishkeeper has a good point. I would check the feed for mold or a funny odor, look around for automotive or chemical spills, and insecticides or weed killers. Botulism, a common illness in ducks, symptoms are usually more pronouced with flaccid paralysis of the feet up the spinal nerves to the neck within hours of exposure.

Fishkeeper has a good point. I would check the feed for mold or a funny odor, look around for automotive or chemical spills, and insecticides or weed killers. Botulism, a common illness in ducks, symptoms are usually more pronouced with flaccid paralysis of the feet up the spinal nerves to the neck within hours of exposure.
As far as the vitamin b complex where would I get that? And certain strength? My backyard is never treated they have a fresh bag of food as two weeks ago when this happen I discarded the bag and got out a new one in. No mold in the run nothing. Also the ducks are not related as they are all different breeds.

Most Walmarts and grocery stores will see different brands of vitamin B complex tablets for humans.
upload_2018-12-4_22-38-37.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom