HELP!! Duck walking on top of her foot??

GardenerEvan

Hatching
Jan 3, 2024
Hello, recently I have noticed my duck walking funnily and different than usual. When I took a closer look, I realized it is because she is walking using the top of her foot rather than the underside (see attached image). She is a Pekin duck, about 3 and a half years old. What could be causing this and how should I fix it?! Now that school has started again and the days are shortened, I haven't had the chance to let her run around as much. This hasn't caused issues in the past but could that be the cause?

Attachments

• IMG_20240103_160122201~2.jpg
    IMG_20240103_160122201~2.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 48
Hello, recently I have noticed my duck walking funnily and different than usual. When I took a closer look, I realized it is because she is walking using the top of her foot rather than the underside (see attached image). She is a Pekin duck, about 3 and a half years old. What could be causing this and how should I fix it?! Now that school has started again and the days are shortened, I haven't had the chance to let her run around as much. This hasn't caused issues in the past but could that be the cause?
Could she have broken her foot? You need to get her something like this https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes ASAP but while you are waiting for this to arrive don't give her more room to run around you want her to be kept where she can't do any more damage to her foot and ankle. Amazon also carries these splints. I agree that giving her some extra niacin can also help support this while she is healing. Liquid B Complex is excellent for any type of niacin deficiency and is the best for getting it under control . That can usually be for at a feed store or online also. Durvet is a good one.
What do you feed your duck or ducks?
That has to be very painful to walk like she is so I hope you can order a split to get her foot going back the normal way. And if a vet is an option then please take her before more damage is done.
Have you picked her up and examined to make sure a bone isn't broken? How is her skin looking nothing open? no bone sticking out?
and :welcome
IMG_2678 2.jpeg

Could she have broken her foot? You need to get her something like this https://www.mypetchicken.com/products/splints-for-curled-toe-broken-legs-broken-feet-4-sizes ASAP but while you are waiting for this to arrive don't give her more room to run around you want her to be kept where she can't do any more damage to her foot and ankle. Amazon also carries these splints. I agree that giving her some extra niacin can also help support this while she is healing. Liquid B Complex is excellent for any type of niacin deficiency and is the best for getting it under control . That can usually be for at a feed store or online also. Durvet is a good one.
What do you feed your duck or ducks?
That has to be very painful to walk like she is so I hope you can order a split to get her foot going back the normal way. And if a vet is an option then please take her before more damage is done.
Have you picked her up and examined to make sure a bone isn't broken? How is her skin looking nothing open? no bone sticking out?
and :welcome
View attachment 3718506
Wow, thank you so much! Today she seems to be doing better and appears to be walking normally. Sometimes she wants to walk weird but she corrects herself. I didn't know adult ducks could have a niacin deficiency?? The food I feed them does have some niacin in it. It is a poultry feed tho. Is that bad for her or should I switch feeds to one that is strictly for waterfowl? Also, I do not think her foot is broken. She doesn't seem to be in pain and she does stand on it. How do I properly examine to make sure it is not broken? There is no vets near me that work on birds!

Back
Top Bottom