HELP !!Duck with infected wound (graphic photos)

Pics

jacksmith378828

Chirping
Apr 22, 2021
About 7 month ago my duck had a small odd growth that kept growing untill it was pretty big, then one day I went out to check on the ducks when it had just fallen off and left a hole. I thought it was a good thing and that it could finally heal but it just won't heal. It stayed as a black scab for a while and then it got infested with maggots, I got them out but there coming back. I've been trying to remove the black dead flesh but it's so infected and smelly and the flys won't leave it alone. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this??? I don't know what to do..

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpeg
    IMG_3667.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3665.jpeg
    IMG_3665.jpeg
    780.5 KB · Views: 20
Make up a warm bath for your duck put Epsom salt in and mix it real good put her down into it and let her soak. This should bring the maggots up to the surface but honestly your duck needs to see a vet that is so infected. Make the solution strong but don't let her drink the water. If you have a large enough tub where she can't get her head into the water that would work better.
If you can't afford a vet then soak her get all the maggots out you know they are eating her right? Keep her inside so you can treat that wound what do you have in your med kit as far as wound care? and tell us what you have been doing to try and get it healed. She will need an antibiotic too I would think.
@Wyorp Rock I know you don't do ducks but can you help with wound care for this poor duck.
you need to keep her inside away from flies.
I am very sorry she is having this she has to be in pain, I hope we can help you get her through this.

Last edited:
Make up a warm bath for your duck put Epsom salt in and mix it real good put her down into it and let her soak. This should bring the maggots up to the surface but honestly your duck needs to see a vet that is so infected. Make the solution strong but don't let her drink the water. If you have a large enough tub where she can't get her head into the water that would work better.
If you can't afford a vet then soak her get all the maggots out you know they are eating her right? Keep her inside so you can treat that wound what do you have in your med kit as far as wound care? and tell us what you have been doing to try and get it healed. She will need an antibiotic too I would think.
@Wyorp Rock I know you don't do ducks but can you help with wound care for this poor duck.
you need to keep her inside away from flies.
I gave her Epsom salt baths when she had maggots and I got rid of them once, sense then I have been spraying with tharecyn twice daily.

If she has maggots again please soak her again and again until you get rid of them all it's good to keep something on it after but soaking needs to continue until every maggot is gone. Do you have any antibiotic ointment? like Neosporin or Tripe antibiotic ointment? I think the wound needs to be kept moist. But hopefully we'll hear from @Wyorp Rock who may know a better way to treat.
@ruthhope I believe has some medical knowledge also.

Are you seeing any maggots now?
I completely got rid of them last time, but today was warm and the flys were bad and I saw lots of eggs on her wound. I soaked her and got them off but I saw a few tiny maggots after so I used a hose attachment and used water to shoot them out. She didn't seem to mind when I sprayed her with the water and it got lots of them out.

I hope you can keep her away from the flies so you can treat without having to deal with maggots.
What all have you done to treat wound?
You said you were spraying with something I haven't heard of? Do you happen to have Banixx? Or can you get some? I have to order anything I want to use with my flock online but I just got some of this and I have been treating a hen who had been egg-bound and looked like she had gleet it has already cleared it up. I highly recommend it, it is for fungal and bacterial infections.

I'm sorry about your Duck.

@Miss Lydia has given you great advice. You will have to keep working on getting the maggots out of the wound.
Likely the maggots are under that yellowish scabby looking material as well, you probably need to see about that too.
Flush and flush some more. I'd swab with Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine, these wound cleansers/antiseptics may help with the infection.
Triple antibiotic ointment on the wound or Banixx is fine too.
You may need to repeat the flushing/removal of the maggot in 12-24hours.

You may find that once you get the wound cleaned and debrided, using an antiseptic and the maggots gone, the smell of infection leaves too, but if you have an antibiotic on hand, I'd consider starting it.

She needs to be kept where flies cannot get on the wound or they will continue to lay eggs and you'll battle maggots and not make any progress with healing.

I do agree, if vet care is an option that would be good.

I think this poor duck has a tumor that causes tissue death. Gross as it is, the maggots might have been helping by eating away the dead tissue.

I think the advice on how to get rid of the maggots from @Miss Lydia is good. The best follow up is with a vet. If that is not possible, please follow the wound care advice from @Wyorp Rock.

Please keep this poor duck in the house where flies cannot get to her. If you cannot consult a vet, and if the wound gets worse despite the wound care, a last-ditch treatment would be honey. Raw unpasteurized honey. Use it as a salve. This is a very old traditional treatment of bedsore in humans. I have seen it used on a human wound that had maggots on it.
https://www.emedihealth.com/skin-beauty/more-skin-conditions/use-honey-for-skin-ailments

Good luck, lots of tender loving care for you girl, and please keep us informed on progress

Back
Top Bottom