help!!!!!! duckies keep laying on their backs and nearly dying!!!!!!!

They're not on any niacin or Brewers yeast. Their food has a niacin supplement in it, but if that isn't enough, where's the best place to get it? We didn't see any at Tractor Supply. Would extra niacin be too much for the chickens? Because they eat the same food. They're doing really good today, I let them out into the run to play. I just noticed that one of the boys keeps chasing after the girls and biting them, of coarse he has his favorite LOL.

Some ducklings seem to need more than others so we suggest they all have the extra. Chick starter grower doesn't have the amount ducklings need. so sprinkling a Tab of Brewers yeast over their feed wouldn't hurt them at all nor the chickens. I make fermented feed for my mixed flock of chickens ducks and geese and add Brewers yeast to it every time I make it up. I bought my Brewers yeast on line but GNC or other natural food stores will have it probably even Whole foods if you have one close call around first. Just don't get brewers yeast from spent beer making or baking yeast. Nutritional yeast is another good one.
As for the drake going after one of the girls just don't let him injure her.

Great news they are doing good
thumbsup.gif

They're not on any niacin or Brewers yeast. Their food has a niacin supplement in it, but if that isn't enough, where's the best place to get it? We didn't see any at Tractor Supply. Would extra niacin be too much for the chickens? Because they eat the same food. They're doing really good today, I let them out into the run to play. I just noticed that one of the boys keeps chasing after the girls and biting them, of coarse he has his favorite LOL.

Have you any health food or natural food stores in your area. Any store that carries herbal medicines are likely to carry Brewers yeast in powdered form.

Some ducklings seem to need more than others so we suggest they all have the extra. Chick starter grower doesn't have the amount ducklings need.  so sprinkling a Tab of Brewers yeast over their feed wouldn't hurt them at all nor the chickens. I make fermented feed for my mixed flock of chickens ducks and geese and add Brewers yeast to it every time I make it up. I bought my Brewers yeast on line but GNC or other natural food stores will have it probably even Whole foods if you have one close call around first. Just don't get brewers yeast from spent beer making or baking yeast. Nutritional yeast is another good one.
As for the drake going after one of the girls just don't let him injure her.

Great news they are doing good :thumbsup

Have you any health food or natural food stores in your area. Any store that carries herbal medicines are likely to carry Brewers yeast in powdered form.

The food is for both ducklings and chickens, but we'll go and check the health food store for niacin and Brewers yeast since it doesn't hurt. Don't worry about the girl ducky, she dosn't put up with him and bites him back, girls rule! LOL. She's also the biggest one out of them all, I think he likes her because of bright white feathers that are coming in. All of the other duckies have darker feathers.

The food is for both ducklings and chickens, but we'll go and check the health food store for niacin and Brewers yeast since it doesn't hurt. Don't worry about the girl ducky, she dosn't put up with him and bites him back, girls rule! LOL. She's also the biggest one out of them all, I think he likes her because of bright white feathers that are coming in. All of the other duckies have darker feathers.
Sounds like she can take care of herself. I would go with Brewers yeast it's a natural form of niacin.[B's]

Ok thank you! They are doing really good today! When they hit 6 weeks their behavior changed, like the drake chasing the girls, and running fast enough to snatch flies from the air! It's hilarious how they do it, they duck their head and body down really low as they're chasing the fly around, then when they get close enough, they stretch their necks really fast and snatch it! I'll have to get a video sometime. I have to fill their 1 gallon waterer 4 times a day, they act like they won't ever see water again and make more of a mess then anything. Chickens are so much cleaner, they don't make a mess of food and water, their poop isn't so messy, and they smell sooo good! The chickens are getting enough nutrition, they have beautiful feathers! I love my little duckies anyways, and I havn't regretted getting them for a second!
1f49c.png

Ok thank you! They are doing really good today! When they hit 6 weeks their behavior changed, like the drake chasing the girls, and running fast enough to snatch flies from the air! It's hilarious how they do it, they duck their head and body down really low as they're chasing the fly around, then when they get close enough, they stretch their necks really fast and snatch it! I'll have to get a video sometime. I have to fill their 1 gallon waterer 4 times a day, they act like they won't ever see water again and make more of a mess then anything. Chickens are so much cleaner, they don't make a mess of food and water, their poop isn't so messy, and they smell sooo good! The chickens are getting enough nutrition, they have beautiful feathers! I love my little duckies anyways, and I havn't regretted getting them for a second!
1f49c.png
I'm glad to hear they are doing so good. What type of water er are you using? a chicken water er won't work well for ducks. They need to be able to stick their heads into something to really wash out their nares.. or feed and get stuck in there.

They sure are messy it's their middle name..lol I love watching mine go after bugs. wait till you see one catch a frog. or eat a slug.
sickbyc.gif
they love them though

I'm glad to hear they are doing so good.  What type of water er are you using? a chicken water er won't work well for ducks. They need to be able to stick their heads into something to really wash out their nares.. or feed and get stuck in there.

They sure are messy it's their middle name..lol     I love watching mine go after bugs. wait till you see one catch a frog. or eat a slug.  :sick   they love them though

They're using a 1 gallon chicken waterer, but they seem to know how to clean out their nares. They don't stick their bill strait in, they slide it through the water, that's one of reasons they make such a big mess lol. I check to make sure there's nothing stuck up their bills. They are really smart about a lot of things, except for jumping off of high things, they're literally parkour jumpers! I have to make sure non of them fall out when I open up their night time cage. They eat frogs!? Ewwww, poor little frogs lol. I'll share some pics of my duckies when I let them out, I've been waiting for it to warm up, it's kinda chilly out.

You are good at medical stuff for birds, or should I say, you know what to do for birds with health problems. I'll recommend you if I see any one else with a ducky in need :)
1f496.png
1f44f.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom