Help!! Duckling has hard time breathing and weezes

Oct 21, 2020
Help my duckling of 2 weeks old is very sick and has something like asthma. And another duckling is starting to develop the same thing, it sits there opening and closing his mouth. I don't know what to do. 2 weeks ago a duckling died like this. It's been 2 days now and it only seems to be getting worse. Please respond quickly! There is no avian vet that I can go to where I live. It's not eating and drinking like before and it can sleep because of the weezing.
16032968756192029662.jpg

Attachments

• 1603296946472105438041.jpg
    1603296946472105438041.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1603296960323850716826.jpg
    1603296960323850716826.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 3
I'm very sorry for your loss, and the problems you're having now.

What is the approximate temperature in their brooder? I see you're using grass as bedding, could you switch that out with towels? The reason being sometimes ducklings will eat too much grass, it can form into a ball in the digestive tract and cause blockages.

Could you post a video of the breathing motion? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here. What are they being fed? How do their poops look? When was the last time you saw them drink water?

They had towls before and we had to switch to grass because we suspected he might have ingested fabric. Only today did we use grass, he does not want to drink. But we gave it to him via eye dropper this morning a last night, he drank it. We give him a mixture of rice, corn, beans, and some egg. Because the chick feed we bought seems off and hard to swallow. He didn't want to eat so we eyedroped some rice soup into his mouth and that is almost all he can eat, but also yesterday I gave him a few pellets and he cholked a bit on them. ( He was already weezing at this time) he's on amoxicilin given carefully to his body weight by via eyedropper.

We don't know,. The poop around them is a bit greenish, but I don't know if it is from the other three, we can't separate them without extreme distress. I personally haven't seen him poop.

He hasn't had a proper meal since he started weezing so I don't know if he has enough for a poop. He is so stressed he can't sleep, and hasn't for 2 + days

Back
Top Bottom