Help! Duckling hatched with partially absorbed yolk sack...

He won't need food yet, he's living off the yolk he absorbed before he hatched. Leave him in there with the humidity high for a few more hours and see what the yolk sac does. When he's ready to come out put him on an old towel or cloth for the first day or 2, until his navel's healed and sealed up completely. Do not use newspaper. It's too slippery underfoot and can cause foot and leg problems. Straw would be better.

Last edited:
Someone told me not to use wood shavings because they can choke aparently? Good idea about the towel ill do that instead.

Last edited:
How long before i put him under the heat lamp? Hes looking fairly strong.. A little wobbly but he can get his way around.

Give the yolk a bit more time to either absorb or dry before moving him.

I hatched an aylesbury a couple weeks back with the exact same issue, gave it an iodine dip and some drench to perk it up but it died to few days later after looking fine before I went to bed. I have had a couple others survive this, however.

I'd use old towel or old cloth for now till the bubble yoke goes away. News paper is not good for lil one ink plus possible cuts to thin skin. I use an old blanket for the first few days till they get walking down and no umbilical cord. I got one right now that is doing the same thing with huge feet lol.

My duckling is due but still, the egg yolk is still intact but the umbilical cord is removed inside te shell with no bleeding

Back
Top Bottom