Help! Duckling help needed ASAP.

Classroom Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
I just got home with a runner duckling, and put it in the brooder with my two Japanese Bantam chicks. Then when I went to feed them, I found bugs in the chick starter (ewww). Can I feed them adult chicken food for a day? I can get more chick starter tomorrow.

No big deal they will be a larvae to some sort of a moth or beetle. I have had many sacks of feed with those in it. Just think of it as a protein bonus. They won't harm the chick or duckling. But yes if it freaks you out it is safe to feed them adult food for a day as long as it's fine. The bugs get in at the mill though so you will need to buy a different brand. Odds are other stores in the area will have the same lot from that brand as well.

I don't know that chicken feed is okay for ducks. I -think- it's just lacking some of the nutrients they need, and if that's the case, it should be alright for just a day.

Alternatively, you can give them plain corn meal. A feed store advised this when I ended up with an unexpected pet duckling and I wasn't able to get to a store the same night. The duckling absolutely loved it, and while it's not great for them, it's fine occasionally as a treat, and will work for a day's worth of food. At least, I did this, and my duckling is perfectly happy and healthy.

Cornmeal, plain oatmeal quick oats,rolled oats because they are bantam throw it in a blender.. provide grit..a little dirt from yard will do but not from flower pots etc usually has other things in it ..just sprinkle a little on a lid or paper towel so they can see it. Problem #2 how hold are the bantam? Ducklings grow very fast you really need 2 it will get big fast if your bantam are only a week or two old it could hurt them just trying to snuggle.and ducks require water deep enough for their bill real drowning hazard for bantams ,yes they require extra vitamins..

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice! Helped a lot. I can get more food today.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom